Fall 2019 Data Science Master Profile Evaluation from NZ :)

Louise Yi

Hi guys, I'm from New Zealand and worked for Deloitte Consulting since graduation for the previous 2 years.

Undergraduate Institution: University of Auckland (top 1 in NZ but around ~120 globally)

Majors: Statistics, Economics and Finance

Cumulative GPA: our GPA uses different scale I got 7.5 - 7 stands for A-; 8 for A and 9 for A+. I assumed  it was around 3.8?

Major GPA: 7.9

Student Type: Asian female

GRE General Test:  Quant:166, Verbal: 158, AW: 4.0 (will retake again next week as I dont think my GRE is higher enough to get me to top tier?)

Classes: 

Statistics: Mathematical Statistics (A+), Statistical Modelling (A); Introduction to Statistical Inference  (A), Stochastic Prcess (B+), Data Analysis for Commerce (A-); Statistical Programming and Modelling using SAS (B+)

Mathematics: Differential Equations (A-), Advancing Mathematics 2 (A-), General Mathematics 2 (A+)

Research Experience: Worked on a ICU discharge policy under information system departmenet - summer research scholarship,  no publication

Intern Experience:

1 - Group Strategy Analyst at a global dairy company doing market strategy, digital strategy etc project support

2- Consulting analyst at a leading consulting firm in market research doing market resarch projects

Work Experience:

Deloitte Consulting in Information & Data Analytics team for 2 years.

Project involved: data strategy, data platform, data visualisation and other strategy projects

Teaching Experience: 

Teaching assistant for stage 1 Statistics course

Letters of Recommendation: 4 options - havent decided yet! Help please :)

1: Director of analytics team - strong recommend (team lead)

2: Director of digital team - strong recommend (my coach)

3: Senior lecturer in Economic Department - strong recommend & close; did a few ecnometrics paper with him

4: Profession in Stats - globally well known statistician however not very close; got A+ from one of his class. might be just strong?

Schools planning to apply: Stanford (M.S.), Harvard (M.S.), MIT - business analytics (M.S.), Penn (M.S.), Columbia (M.S.), NorthWestern(M.S.), Duke (M.S.), CMU (M.S.), NYU (M.S.)

My Concern: work experience doesn't directly relate to data science & data analysis. more relate to data management, strategy (i.e. data migration, data quality, data visualisatoin, overall strategy type of projects)

Programming skill: R, SAS, SQL; self-learning Python at the moment

Question:

1: any safe schools for recommendations? looking for 1.5 / 2 years programme for data science as I want to build my programming skills & career progression to a data scientist in consulting firm

2: am I over applying to top tier schools? Stanford would be dream! But I think I reached the bar for Columbia / Duke / Upenn - not too sure though

3: help for LOR selection

Many thanks!! Appreciate your assitance in advance.

Edited by Louise Yi

You could consider NC State's MS in Analytics. You would almost certainly get in and a lot of their graduates work in consulting, with a median starting salary of about $100,000.

https://analytics.ncsu.edu/

You should be competitive for all the places you're applying for and I think you'll get into at least some of them.

21 hours ago, omicrontrabb said:

You could consider NC State's MS in Analytics. You would almost certainly get in and a lot of their graduates work in consulting, with a median starting salary of about $100,000.

https://analytics.ncsu.edu/

You should be competitive for all the places you're applying for and I think you'll get into at least some of them.

thank you! Highly appreciated. The NC program is great however it's a 10 months degree. Will prefer a longer degree :)

If you really want a two-year program, you could also consider a master's degree in statistics or applied statistics. You would definitely still be able to get data science jobs with that and there are more two-year options to consider.

36 minutes ago, omicrontrabb said:

If you really want a two-year program, you could also consider a master's degree in statistics or applied statistics. You would definitely still be able to get data science jobs with that and there are more two-year options to consider.

Thank you! I've checked a few stats programs but most of them had less focus in computing / programming. Would like to have more involvement in machine learning & build my programming skills :) That was my main purpose for studying.  Your application looks very strong! Good luck to your application too