Writing Sample Length Requirements

I was just looking for some more funded MA programs to add to my list and I found one program that seemed like it'd be a decent fit. So, I check the application requirements and saw that they require a seminar-style 20-25 page writing sample. Emphasis on seminar-style so that's not multiple samples to add up to 20+ pages. I did not add it to my list.

As for why I'm posting here, I was talking with one of my letter writers last week about writing samples. She was shocked to hear that some programs that I'm applying to required 20+ pages since when she was applying to programs, her sample was around 15 pages. She also said that she didn't think that adcomms really wanted to read 20+ pages for every applicant. That made me think - are they really reading our writing samples or just skimming them to see if something in it catches their attention?

I can see the reasoning for PhD programs requiring longer samples but not so much for a masters program, especially one that advertises itself as helping students prepare for a PhD. If someone already has a polished 20-25 page writing sample that's their best academic writing, they probably don't need a funded masters program and can go straight to a PhD program.

This is upsetting to me since I'm applying with a BA from a SLAC. The longest paper I've written for an English class was around 22 pages but it was in an odd format (I-Search) so I can't really use it for applications. It also features me talking about my disappointing experience with magic mushrooms as for my inspiration for picking the topic (Ginsberg's Howl) so yeah, definitely don't want to use that. It's decent writing but not my best writing. My best is around 12 pages but with room to pad it a little more. No way in hell I'd be able to get it to 20+ without making it into a bloated mess.

What do you think about the WS length requirements for applications? Reasonable or unreasonable?

I would be shocked if they actually read writing samples except for when they reach the final choices. My understanding is that they read the first paragraph or two and then skim the rest and maybe read the conclusion. In my experience 15-20 is the norm, anything less I find restrictive and anything more is unnecessary. Note that some places, like NYU I believe, state something along the lines of "maximum 20-25", which on a first glance might look like 20 is a minimum but it is not.

Good point about the confusing maximums - just checked that masters program again and it says 20-25 pages.

I’ll probably shoot them an email to clarify. If they say one 20-25 page sample, I’ll probably inquire about the necessity of a seminar-style WS for a masters program that advertises itself as a stepping stone for PhD programs. I figure I don’t have anything to lose because if it’s a 20 min and 25 max, I’m not going to apply but it might make them reconsider their WS requirements.

I think this really ticked me off because the two other MA programs on my list are a lot more reasonable about the WS length. One didn’t give a suggested length and the other one put a cap of 12 pages. Another program on my list wants 10-15 pages for MA applicants and 20-25 pages for PhD applicants.

I know that WUSTL (phd only) requires 10-25 pages because they want to leave it up to the person to submit what they believe is their strongest piece of writing and don't want people to add any fluff to meet the minimum page count.

I have somewhat had the opposite experience. However, it is coming from an MA into a Ph.D. When a place says 10 pages, I just don't have anything from my master's that is that short. My shortest is about 12 so I instead have to work to cut it down. This is only 2 schools, but still a hassle. 

I feel much the same, I doubt they read it closely unless they are trying to decide between a few.