Fall 2011

goldielocks

Yes, that part of the application is such an annoying extra, especially because no other schools seem to demand a similar piece of writing.

I don't really see how much a difference that document will make. It's just another hoop to jump through. Either way, I finished it. It said a "2-page" review but I don't know how you can really engage with a book's arguments (especially one which is supposed to have been a major influence) in 500 words or less. I actually did 2 single-spaced pages when everything else I have done for all my apps has used standard double-spacing. I figure if they want to read it they can, and if they don't, they won't.

I don't know if anyone else is applying to William & Mary, but there application was also a bit unusual. The History Department has its own "supplemental package" which asks a bunch of questions requiring short essay-type answers of mostly stuff you would include in your SOP anyway. But it also asks you to rank the kind of assistantships you would prefer, i.e., research, teaching, archival, and then write an extra essay explaining your choices. Also, there was no online option and the whole package had to be mailed to the Department.

I don't really see how much a difference that document will make. It's just another hoop to jump through. Either way, I finished it. It said a "2-page" review but I don't know how you can really engage with a book's arguments (especially one which is supposed to have been a major influence) in 500 words or less. I actually did 2 single-spaced pages when everything else I have done for all my apps has used standard double-spacing. I figure if they want to read it they can, and if they don't, they won't.

That is exactly how I felt! How in the world are we supposed to do that in two pages? I think it would have been much less stressful had we been given five pages, or at least four. I edited and edited and edited again to get it down to 2. It ended up being 2 pages and like 3 lines, double spaced.

Ah, that's Yale for you. If you want to go there that bad enough, you'll write the review.

Now, who's getting slightly annoyed by constant reminders from Maryland that the supplement application is still incomplete? Every OTHER day I get that reminder in my inbox. *groan* And sometimes they're about my LOR writers...

But, wow, W&M sounds like something else... I'd choose archival or research for assistantship. :D

Is it a book review? FWIW, I know someone in a History Ph.D (not the program you're discussing), and he has to write 500-word book reviews for most of his courses. I think he usually has to write three or four 500-word reviews for each course. He found it difficult to write only 500 at first, but now he cranks them out with his eyes closed. So it sounds as if they might be testing your ability to do such assignments because they'll be required of you in your courses? Also, I don't know how long published reviews of historical books usually are, but that might be the standard length in the field?

I don't know if anyone else is applying to William & Mary, but there application was also a bit unusual. The History Department has its own "supplemental package" which asks a bunch of questions requiring short essay-type answers of mostly stuff you would include in your SOP anyway. But it also asks you to rank the kind of assistantships you would prefer, i.e., research, teaching, archival, and then write an extra essay explaining your choices. Also, there was no online option and the whole package had to be mailed to the Department.

If I remember correctly from applying to their American studies program, they had something similar. Seemed a bit pointless, but alas...

Is it a book review? FWIW, I know someone in a History Ph.D (not the program you're discussing), and he has to write 500-word book reviews for most of his courses. I think he usually has to write three or four 500-word reviews for each course. He found it difficult to write only 500 at first, but now he cranks them out with his eyes closed. So it sounds as if they might be testing your ability to do such assignments because they'll be required of you in your courses? Also, I don't know how long published reviews of historical books usually are, but that might be the standard length in the field?

yep. a lot of journals' book reviews are 1-2 pages so a 500-word book review isn't that uncommon. it's a skill to distill that much information into such a small space. and when you're writing comps, you'll be whittling entire books down into a single paragraph at most.

hell, you'll have to write dissertation grant proposals in 3 double-spaced pages. those will need to include your research question, your argument, the parameters/design of your study, the existing literature, your contribution to that literature, a description of your sources, an explanation of your methodology, an attention-grabbing introduction, and some biographical information (your language proficiency, your coursework/training, the research strengths of your professors, whatever research trips you've already taken).

writing concisely is something grad programs look for, so if they're giving you maximum lengths or page numbers, i suggest sticking to those lengths. applying to grad school isn't as intense as applying for fellowships, but fellowship organizations will throw out your entire application if you go over the page limit or make your margins and spacing too small. don't give 'em a reason to toss you by not following their rules.

Happy December 1--which, of course, is the starting point of application deadlines--to everyone!

I'm going to celebrate by doing last minute revisions to several applications. And then begin the three months process of biting my nails.

Happy December 1st, indeed. I told myself last night that, after turning in Wisconsin and Princeton and almost sending threatening messages to UNC because of their server problems, I would take a breather today and rest with a clear mind in between classes.

It's 12:40 and I'm about to start working on my other apps.

Edited by Jdealla

I'm really not liking Boston College's hybrid application process. There's an online component where you have to calculate the cum/major GPA, self-report GRE scores, give a course abstract and do everything a standard online application requires... except the SOP, Writing Sample, Transcripts, and LORs all have to be mailed. In addition, the online component has to be completed in order to get the ID number which has to be included on the LOR form that is then sent to your professors to work with. The deadline isn't until 2 Jan. but I find myself working on it before my apps which are due on 7 and 12 Dec. to make sure the letters are mailed in on time. A bit frustrating, but it is what it is. Just needed to vent.

Who is just a bit peeved that OSU's main graduate admissions office changed its address only just recently? I just discovered it a day or two ago that the history website updated that while doing a final check. Of course, my online app status says that the transcripts has yet to come in and I ordered them way back in mid-October! I suppose there's a reason why the history department prefers to have transcripts sent to them as well. I couldn't get one of my transcripts sent out until just now because the registrar at my UG insisted on a proof of signature as they don't have an online transcript form system set up. Very old fashioned indeed but their claim that it's really by law that they have to see proof of signature.

/vent

• 3 months later...

hey all. i know i'm onto this late, but since we're aiming for fall '11, may as well keep it going!

i've been struggling with the same sort of original questions as well. i'll be applying come fall, but am still finishing up my master's thesis, and also teach full time. when i'm not yawning, this is what i'll be doing:

-a potential internship (a papers project working with historical documents/manuscripts)

-seriously preparing for the GRE (ps if anyone has any great advice as to how to best fool this test into thinking i'm semi cerebral and capable of a phd track, i'd greatly appreciate it!)

of course, everything else as well (loi, contacting profs, etc.). i just suddenly got nervous and overwhelmed.