MPA vs MPP

sball09

I've noticed a lot of people have applied to both MPA and MPP programs. I have been accepted to both. I am leaning towards MPP, but are other people basing their decisions on the strength of the program rather than on the different degrees? Do these two degrees result in similar careers?

It really depends on the specific degree. Traditionally MPAs are designed for people who want to work as managers within government whereas MPPs focus on skills for analyzing policy and tend to market themselves as opening more doors in all sectors rather than just government. However, over the years, the degrees have converged somewhat and you really have to judge each program on its individual merits.

I've been accepted by both a MPA and MPP. I'm trying to look at the strength of the program and where alumni have ended up. I think that connections are one of the most most valuable aspects of a program. If the program has alumni working in areas you want to work, there is a good chance you'll end up where you want to be!

considering that many schools make all students take the same core classes, I expect to make my decision on MPA or MPP after the first semester. This flexibility is allowed.

I don't think there's a difference between the MPA and the MPP. Some programs don't even agree on what the "A" stands for (Maxwell is a Master in Public Administration, and Woodrow Wilson is a Master in Public Affairs.)

I don't think there's a difference between the MPA and the MPP. Some programs don't even agree on what the "A" stands for (Maxwell is a Master in Public Administration, and Woodrow Wilson is a Master in Public Affairs.)

Yep, except perhaps the schools that offer both the MPP and the MPA. I think these schools definitely make a distinction as to what sort of students with which kinds of goals they want to admit to each program.

Although, as other posters have said, institutions that offer one or the other will differ considerably in the focus of their curriculum and faculty. For example, for a student that doesn't pursue anything out of the ordinary, the cookie-cutter MPP with which you would walk away from Berkeley/Ford/Harris would be very different, I think, than the cookie-cutter MPA with which you would walk away from Maxwell/Wagner. But in both cases you definitely should still be able to tailor your courses to best fit your future goals.