Has anyone participated in a study abroad program as an SLP graduate student that was related to your field? If so, did you go with your university or on your own? Did you feel you were able to contribute despite the language difference? I am especially interested in the Visions Global Empowerment organization that has an service trip to Ethiopia that focuses on deaf education and empowerment. https://www.visionsglobalempowerment.org/volunteer-program

I would love to hear about others’ experiences. 

The University of New Mexico takes students each summer to a multidisciplinary clinic in Mexico City, Mexico to work for a few weeks. It is an AMAZING experience! Usually everyone that goes has some fluency in Spanish. Could you make a difference without speaking the language? It would depend on having great interpreters and your knowing how to work with them (it is a skill!). Also, it would depend on the type of work you're doing: Forget about trying to provide language therapy. How would you without knowing anything about the grammar? But you could train local professionals on strategies. Or if you're working on something more organic or motor-speech-ish you could more easily provide intervention. 

Here's the departmental webpage on the trip to Mexico https://shs.unm.edu/programs/master-of-science/comunidad-crecer.html

Last year some donor's helped pay for the trip, and this video is thank you to them as well as showing them what the clinic/trip is like. Maybe it is useful to you to hear from some students who have been 

21 hours ago, mcamp said:

The University of New Mexico takes students each summer to a multidisciplinary clinic in Mexico City, Mexico to work for a few weeks. It is an AMAZING experience! Usually everyone that goes has some fluency in Spanish. Could you make a difference without speaking the language? It would depend on having great interpreters and your knowing how to work with them (it is a skill!). Also, it would depend on the type of work you're doing: Forget about trying to provide language therapy. How would you without knowing anything about the grammar? But you could train local professionals on strategies. Or if you're working on something more organic or motor-speech-ish you could more easily provide intervention. 

Here's the departmental webpage on the trip to Mexico https://shs.unm.edu/programs/master-of-science/comunidad-crecer.html

Last year some donor's helped pay for the trip, and this video is thank you to them as well as showing them what the clinic/trip is like. Maybe it is useful to you to hear from some students who have been 

Thanks for sharing!

I took a trip this summer to Belize with Therapy Abroad! I did the undergrad program, but they have a grad program as well. If you have any questions, PM me!