How importante are TOEFL score?

TheHoff

Hello everyone, I have a situation and would like to know your opinion on it.

In 2016 I took the TOEFL exam and got a cumulative score of 112, 29 Reading, 29 Listening, 27 Writing and 27 speaking, but unfortunately I didn't get into any programs that year.

To apply this year again I had to retake the test as it is only valid for two years, the problem is that I don't think I will get a score so good again since I didn't feel confident about my answers on the speaking and writing section.

I have two main options:

1) Retake the test - problems are that the scores might not get to the AdComm on time due to the available dates to retake (and it costs $215, ouch)

2) Try to address the situation on my application, explain that I don't think my scores represents my knowledge and ask if they could consider my scores from 2016.

What is your opinion? Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

TOEFL is literally there only to prove you can speak and write English. A higher score won't give you an advantage, but check their minimum requirements and if you fear you won't reach that threshold, email admissions -- they'll be able to advise you if they'll look at your TOEFL and scrap your application. I would advise against asking them to consider your 'outdated' scores and not retaking the test if you can avoid it--you might want to add to your email that re-taking the TOEFL would place you in financial hardship and you hope adcomm will also consider your written applications (writing sample? statement of purpose definitely) to see proof of your ability to speak English. Just make sure your emails are 100% grammatically correct.

Hope it helps!