Around the Block more than a few times: Older grad students

Lillian

Another "ancient one" here -- going to be 42 very soon. I'm hoping to get into a genetics or bioinformatics program, but I'm geographically stuck. I don't have much research experience, and while I do have a summer internship lined up, it's only 6 weeks long (but PAID!). I will be looking for a more local research opportunity in the fall. It's a bit daunting, knowing that I'll be competing for a spot with much younger and much better positioned applicants. I try to tell myself I have a lot going for me, but I'm also trying to be realistic, and I'm prepared to try again next year if things don't work out this time around (although I'll be even OLDER then).

I feel your pain. I teach at a predominantly minority, low-income school and I'm older than the parents of some of my kids. And I'm only 36!

In a recent class at an HBCU a play circa 1969 compelled a student to say, "That's the year my Mom was born!" After doing the math I realized it was very possible...and then I thought about jumping through the plate glass window. :/ The last "guy" to hit on me was born in 1989. In 1989 I was running a babysitting business, slow dancing at my first real grown-up dance and looking forward to taking my driver's test. See above plate glass jumping desire.

• 4 months later...

Anyone still on this thread? I guess I found it a bit late. Anyway, I started my master's at the age of 40 after 15 years of industry work, finished it at 43, and am now applying to PhD programs. It's been a strange journey, but I guess that's just how things worked out.

What field are you in? I'm hoping things work out for me, and I'll try again next year, if necessary. Sure, I wish I'd started earlier, but it wouldn't really have been possible much before now.

What field are you in? I'm hoping things work out for me, and I'll try again next year, if necessary. Sure, I wish I'd started earlier, but it wouldn't really have been possible much before now.

Me? I graduated with a masters from a "new media" program in May. My bachelor's was in mechanical engineering. I'm applying to new media PhD programs now and hoping for the best.