CFY

Hello all!

I am about to begin applying for my CF, and I've heard that the majority of CF positions are offered in either a SNF or school. I've heard mixed reviews about working in a SNF (mostly negative), but it seems that doing your CF in a SNF is the only way to ultimately work in a hospital/rehab center after you become licensed. Is this true? I have always been interested in working with adults, but I do enjoy working with kids as well. I'm not sure what direction I should take. Also, I plan to move out of state for my CF (hopefully Massachusetts). How difficult would this be? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am an inpatient rehab SLP at a hospital- I completed my CF at a hospital, I also have friends who did their CFs in SNF setting. It’s true that it is more difficult to move from school to medical but it is not impossible. The things I’ve found are most helpful are 1) getting experience in medical during grad school via your externships/rotation 2)making a good impression with your supervisor during that rotation 3)being an independent learner and 4)being willing to work a terrible schedule and constantly filling in and being helpful. During my CF I worked a horrible schedule - I was only part time but was constantly reaching out and seeing if I could help, sometimes I worked 2 weeks straight, I worked every holiday, every weekend. It was a pretty difficult year but eventually I landed a full time job in the hospital. 

You are more likely to find a FT SNF placement as a CF with no experience- with SNFs just keep in mind that there are good ones and bad ones. Tour the facility before you take a job- does it look and smell clean? Questions to ask during your interview would be re your CF supervisor (how present are they at the facility, have they supervised before, are they ok with you texting them with questions, are they close by if you needed hands on help), also ask about productivity (anything greater than 85% is going to be incredibly difficult), I would also ask about PRN coverage for your vacation days and sick days. Ask about responsiveness by admin if you were to recommend an MBSS, ask if the pt has to go to a hospital for that or if you have mobile MBSS/FEES that can help. 

As far as moving for your CF- the tough part about moving is the lack of connections. I’m still in the state where I went to grad school mostly just because my connections allowed me to get a hospital CF and eventually a FT hospital job- I’d like to move when I have good experience under my belt that makes me more marketable to other hospitals. 

Keep in mind that if you want something bad enough and are willing to work for it, you can make it happen. It became clear to me during grad school that a school setting would not be enjoyable for me so I hustled like crazy to get where I am and now I love my job. Best of luck during your CF search!

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get a CF in Massachusetts working in certain settings. MA is one of few states that does not grant provisional licensure to CFs. Insurance companies, like Medicaid and Medicare, require that SLPs have licensure in order to bill for services. As a result, CFs can't work with any patients who are billing under Medicaid & Medicare, which means employers aren't hiring CFs. Without provisional licensure, CFs require up to 100% supervision to bill for services and some insurances do not allow unlicensed CFs to bill at all. You can read more at Massachusetts Speech Language Hearing Association (MSHA) and/or research S137: An Act Providing for Provisional Licensure for Speech-Language Pathologists. Most CFs in MA are in schools or have found a way to work with private pay or different insurance clients, but most are in schools because of the lack of a provisional licensure bill! 

6 hours ago, SpeechGal1234 said:

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get a CF in Massachusetts working in certain settings. MA is one of few states that does not grant provisional licensure to CFs. Insurance companies, like Medicaid and Medicare, require that SLPs have licensure in order to bill for services. As a result, CFs can't work with any patients who are billing under Medicaid & Medicare, which means employers aren't hiring CFs. Without provisional licensure, CFs require up to 100% supervision to bill for services and some insurances do not allow unlicensed CFs to bill at all. You can read more at Massachusetts Speech Language Hearing Association (MSHA) and/or research S137: An Act Providing for Provisional Licensure for Speech-Language Pathologists. Most CFs in MA are in schools or have found a way to work with private pay or different insurance clients, but most are in schools because of the lack of a provisional licensure bill! 

Yikes! I lived in MA for years and would probably have gone to UMass if they had accepted me, so I guess I dodged a bullet there. I'm glad that bill is in the works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for your responses. I appreciate any tips re: the CF process, and you gave me some great questions to ask!

I am shocked that MA does not grant provisional licensure to CFs. I have actually decided within the last few weeks to find a CF in the area where I went to school anyway, but that's really good to know.

That's great you completed your CF at a hospital. Since you were part time, were you working part time at another facility with peds in order to fulfill your hours to get your CCCs? It seems most of the CF positions are pediatric. I completed my externship at a hospital, not a SNF. But it seems that a SNF is a realistic goal at this point. I'm just wondering if I should look into working per diem at a hospital instead.

Anyway, I'm very excited to start working! I'm staying positive ? Grad school was a lot of hard work but I know the hard work doesn't end there!

• 1 year later...