peer-reviewed journal in application

causalinf

I recently submitted a publication to a stats journal, but it hasn't been accepted yet. Can I list it as a peer-reviewed journal? In addition, my name was mentioned in the acknowledged contribution section for a publication.  Should I mention it in my CV/resume? 

Edited by causalinf

A paper that is under review doesn't tell the graduate committee anything except that you've submitted. It could also be seen as CV padding. This would change if the paper was recommended for publication pending changes but it doesn't sound like you're at this point yet. I'd only list something as a peer-reviewed journal if it went through the process and I was given a date of which issue it would appear in.

As for the acknowledged section, it depends. Were you just responsible for data collection? Or were you responsible for designing and writing a chapter? Academia is small. Professors can get in touch with others in their field easily and it could be seen as a turnoff if the role you played is smaller than you made it sound. If you spent a significant amount of time on a project, it might be worth mentioning that in your SOP. :)

Don't put acknowledgements in your CV, maybe mention it briefly in your SOP if you did something interesting (if you have a letter from the professor involved it doesn't matter).

You should have a letter from the professor on the paper you're an author on - that's the important part. If it's online, e.g. arXiv, you should put a link. In your publications section, you can put "Paper title" (under review at Journal X)

It is appropriate to put your submission on your CV under a section for "Submissions and Works in Progress" or something like that. Put "(Under review)" after the article title. This section could also include papers that are "Under Revision for [journal name]" or "In preparation."

You *cannot* list your submission under "Publications" until it has been officially accepted for publication by the editor (even papers still under revision don't count since revision does not always imply a final acceptance). Once it has been accepted, then you can list it under Publications with "[Journal name] (Accepted) or [Journal name] (In press)."

Many CVs have two sections: one for works that are under review/under revision/in preparation, and one for publications that have been accepted or have been published.

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc

Also, do not put the acknowledgement on your CV. 

In any event, the CV is likely only to be skimmed by the adcom (as the majority of applicants do not have any publications -- even the majority of those admitted to top schools won't have them... most of the info on a CV would already be visible in the application packet). Adcoms will probably not read the arXiv submission either, so if you do have a paper or two, be sure to have one of your LOR writers discuss the paper(s). It could also be described in your SOP, but it will carry more weight coming from a strong recommendation letter.

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc