Anybody else's recommenders submit letters late?

Just now, orchidnora said:

Unfortunately, my recommenders have missed the December 1st (November 30th 11:59 P.M.) deadlines. Anybody else nervously awaiting their letters? Hopefully this won't affect anyone's chances of acceptance....

I believe that a December 1st deadline means December 1st at 11:59 PM.

One of my recommenders is a little late, but I called the admissions office and apparently it is quite common for recommenders to get their letters in late. This usually won't affect your ability to submit your application from your end (it didn't affect mine).

I have even heard anecdotes of letter writers being a week or two late. As long as the letter comes in before the admissions committee meets for review (which at this point should be after the semester ends, i.e. around the holidays), then you should be fine. But feel free to call and double check with your school's admissions office as I did.

Edited by theduckster

4 minutes ago, theduckster said:

One of my recommenders is a little late, but I called the admissions office and apparently it is quite common for recommenders to get their letters in late. This usually won't affect your ability to submit your application from your end (it didn't affect mine).

I have even heard anecdotes of letter writers being a week or two late. As long as the letter comes in before the admissions committee meets for review (which at this point should be after the semester ends, i.e. around the holidays), then you should be fine. But feel free to call and double check with your school's admissions office as I did.

Thank you for the info! This is very reassuring. It seems my recommendations will also only be a little late (less than one day late). At this point, it's out of my control, since I already sent a reminder and don't want to harass my recommender. I will probably call admissions on Monday just for sanity.