Quick question: writing sample page limits and notes/works cited

Hi, all! Thoughts on the relevance of endnotes and works-cited pages to suggested page counts? My sample runs a little over one school's 25-page requirement; the argument concludes on page 23, and the endnotes finish on 24, but the works cited stretches over a few more pages. A big problem, or something that can be safely ignored?

Hi,

Unless it is specified that the page count includes citations, most of the schools I'm applying to only consider the actual essay when factoring the page count. So since your argument ends on page 23, you should be solid. Even if the page count does include citations, I doubt that sending in a ~27 page paper would be the end of the world, but perhaps someone else can give you a more concrete answer!

Good luck!

@northwestnative Most programs that I've looked at say that citations/works cited doesn't factor into page count. For example, Northwestern says "Scholarly citations must be included, but do not count against the page limit," Michigan says "A writing sample of around 25 pages "double spaced, of critical or scholarly writing, excluding notes and bibliography. Notes and bibliography have no page limit," and UChicago says "Page count does not include bibliography." So I'd say with your argument concluding on page 23, you're good to go! I haven't seen any program websites/FAQs yet that specify that your max limit includes bibliographic material.