Mentioning Previous Waitlist Status in SOP?

I was waitlisted at my top choice last cycle and have chosen to apply again after improving my resume and (hopefully) my test scores. My SOP from my original application was possibly the best thing I have, personally, ever written so I am incredibly proud of it. During the second portion of the SOP, the requirement of the school was to explain why I wanted to go there. Would it be advantageous or risky to mention that I was waitlisted last cycle and, because this is my top choice, worked harder to improve? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 9:58 PM, kayemeh said:

I was waitlisted at my top choice last cycle and have chosen to apply again after improving my resume and (hopefully) my test scores. My SOP from my original application was possibly the best thing I have, personally, ever written so I am incredibly proud of it. During the second portion of the SOP, the requirement of the school was to explain why I wanted to go there. Would it be advantageous or risky to mention that I was waitlisted last cycle and, because this is my top choice, worked harder to improve? 

I would briefly address it. I can't see how it can harm you. On the contrary, it might show them how committed and determined you are to this program. I would make sure though to explicitly (and briefly) mention the things you have done and the ways in which you are more prepared than last year (which I assume you'll do!). If you almost made it the year before, and you have done things to improve (and are smart at addressing them), then I would say you are an advantaged applicant.