2019 Pharmacology PhD Applicants and Admission Results

blm20

Hey! Glad someone made a pharmacology thread haha :) For pharmacology-specific programs, I applied to CU Denver, Hopkins, UPenn, and Boston U. I also applied to UNC's BBSP program and VCU's umbrella biomed program, for pharmacology, and also UMaryland's molecular medicine program for their pharmacology track. 

So far I've gotten interviews from CU Denver (recruitment weekend choice of 1/31-2/3 or 2/14-2/17), UMaryland (1/25-1/26), UPenn (recruitment weekend of either 1/17 or 2/7), and Boston U (1/31-2/1). Haven't heard from the others yet. What about you?

Sorry for not answering, I just saw this! I applied to Penn, Temple, Rutgers, Boston U, Duke, UNC. I have so far gotten interviews at Boston U and Rutgers! When/how did you hear from Penn? Congrats on all of your interviews though, thats awesome!!

10 hours ago, MLMB14 said:

Sorry for not answering, I just saw this! I applied to Penn, Temple, Rutgers, Boston U, Duke, UNC. I have so far gotten interviews at Boston U and Rutgers! When/how did you hear from Penn? Congrats on all of your interviews though, thats awesome!!

Hey no worries at all! So i got an email from Penn on Dec. 13th - I'm not sure if they're done sending invites though, they may still be sending more! And thank you so much, congrats on your interview invites as well thats amazing!! :) I haven't confirmed yet with Boston U that I'll attend, but maybe we will cross paths while there!

11 hours ago, MLMB14 said:

Also I got an interview today from JHU pharmacology, their interview weekend is Feb. 7th-10th! Not sure how helpful that is for you since you didn't apply there but maybe it'll be helpful for any other forum onlookers haha

On 12/20/2018 at 9:25 AM, MLMB14 said:

Hey, sorry about my multiple replies! I was wondering if you knew what the funding situation with Boston's pharmacology program is. I was going through their website and I can't figure out if they provide funding throughout the entire program, or if you have to pay tuition the first year, and only if you receive the NIGMS T32 grant after your first year, then you are given a stipend for the rest of the program?

On 12/22/2018 at 11:36 AM, TerminalMind said:

Hey, sorry about my multiple replies! I was wondering if you knew what the funding situation with Boston's pharmacology program is. I was going through their website and I can't figure out if they provide funding throughout the entire program, or if you have to pay tuition the first year, and only if you receive the NIGMS T32 grant after your first year, then you are given a stipend for the rest of the program?

Ya I’m also unsure. I figure I’ll go to the interview and ask but I can’t afford to go somewhere and pay anything!

19 hours ago, MLMB14 said:

Ya I’m also unsure. I figure I’ll go to the interview and ask but I can’t afford to go somewhere and pay anything!

I'm completely in the same boat, I dont have the money to pay for anything haha. I think I may have screwed up, I ended up declining the interview at BU bc I assumed tuition needed to be paid by students the first year...but I probably should've just asked them directly to confirm ?lesson learned to not be afraid to ask questions, I guess. That sounds like a very good approach to ask them at the interview!

On 12/27/2018 at 10:36 AM, Wobbuffet said:

Hey all! Congratulations on your interviews! I was wondering if anyone knew when Boston university would stop sending invitations to interviews? I haven’t heard from them yet and am getting nervous

Hey thank you so much! :D aw no, don't get nervous! I think I read somewhere on their program website that their invitations to interview are done on a rolling basis...if you submitting your app close to their deadline, i think it's very possible they may still offer an interview

hey all,

I got a notification last 12/19 for interview for Boston U too! I'm really excited about it and said yes the following day :)
Just wondering, have any of you heard back from them yet? They said the Program Administrator will be in touch to make the travel plans, etc. but I haven't heard from the person yet. 

On 12/28/2018 at 11:19 AM, TerminalMind said:

Hey thank you so much! :D aw no, don't get nervous! I think I read somewhere on their program website that their invitations to interview are done on a rolling basis...if you submitting your app close to their deadline, i think it's very possible they may still offer an interview

Thank you for the encouragement! I actually submitted mine Nov 30th so it wasn't too close to their deadline. I really hope they send out more :)
In case anyone wanted to know, Minnesota Pharmacology sent out invitations on Dec 10th but from previous years I think they will continue sending them out!

On 12/28/2018 at 11:17 AM, TerminalMind said:

I'm completely in the same boat, I dont have the money to pay for anything haha. I think I may have screwed up, I ended up declining the interview at BU bc I assumed tuition needed to be paid by students the first year...but I probably should've just asked them directly to confirm ?lesson learned to not be afraid to ask questions, I guess. That sounds like a very good approach to ask them at the interview!

On their website under Admission > General applicant information it says:

Financial Aid

Funds are available for the full support of graduate training for Ph.D. students. Students are supported with annual stipends of $32,250, as well as full tuition remission and health insurance. Stipend support is made possible by funds from federally funded research grants and fellowships, the NIGMS Training Grant in Biomolecular Pharmacology, and support from the pharmaceutical industry. Financial aid is also available for students who are members of minority groups through NIH grant supplements.

• 2 weeks later...

Interviews offered at :  U Colorado Denver, Ohio State, Case Western, Northeastern,  UW Madison, UNC, and  Duke

Michigan said no.

Nothing yet from:  Stanford, Yale,  Vanderbilt, Northwestern, U Chicago, UCSD and not expecting to hear from any of them.

Congrats on the UCSF and UCLA interviews, they are very impressive.

Edited by Fall 2019 Pharmacology

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Fall 2019 Pharmacology said:

Accepted today into UW Madison and Duke University.  Other acceptance were Ohio State and Case Western.Turned down by Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago, UCSD, Stanford and Yale.  Still to interview at UNC and Vanderbilt.

Is this the UW Madison Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ph.D. or the Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology, Ph.D.?