Accepting interviews vs waiting for other interviews?

BioFrost

Hi, what is the general advice for accepting interview offers while waiting for other interviews from different schools? I'll accept school A's interview invite (they require an answer within 2 days), but if school B sends an interview invite (in the next couple weeks) that fall on the same days, is it frowned upon to decline school A's invite after travel arrangements are made? 

I would suggest you reply to School A within their requested time-frame, and if school B extends an invitation see if they can work with you regarding dates. If you have no interest in going to school A, then I would reject the interview offer. You do not want to reject an offer after travel arrangements have been made, as that represents poorly on you and academic communities are small, so that can hurt you in the long run. Also, another possibility is that you reject School A and School B never comes calling. 

16 minutes ago, Hk328 said:

I would suggest you reply to School A within their requested time-frame, and if school B extends an invitation see if they can work with you regarding dates. If you have no interest in going to school A, then I would reject the interview offer. You do not want to reject an offer after travel arrangements have been made, as that represents poorly on you and academic communities are small, so that can hurt you in the long run. Also, another possibility is that you reject School A and School B never comes calling. 

Yes! That is my dilemma, I like school A, but school B is my top choice. That's why I wanted to secure my interview for school A while waiting for school B. But you're right, the community is small and could hurt me in the future.

hey guys, joining the conversation. my top choice just extended an invitation but i have already committed to another school that i am also considering (preliminary - accepted 2 days ago; no tickets purchased yet). will it hurt my chances if i ask to reschedule for my top choice school?

Plenty of people try to reschedule, or need to reschedule, it shouldn't be a big issue. Most universities have at least one, if not two, alternate dates. If you tell your top school that they are your top school, and you want to interview, but can't at that day due to a prior commitment to interview at another school, my hunch is that they will not really think about you as an applicant, but just try to schedule something that does work. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had two interviews fall on the same weekend and the POI for one school said explicitly in the invite email that they would reschedule with me if the timing was inconvenient. I think schools are realistic about the fact that attractive applicants often have multiple schools they applied to, so it won't be a big deal to shift the weekend if necessary. That having been said, I'd imagine that this becomes less and less possible as the selectivity of a program increases and if you haven't been in contact with a POI prior to submitting your application (I've been talking to the POI for the rescheduled school for awhile, plus the other program is ranked in the Top 15 and I don't think they would have been so willing to reschedule given the phrasing of their emailed invite), so take your programs/relationships with POIs into consideration with this as well.