West Texas A&M - Why so few applicants?

Hi everyone! I am in the process of weighing which schools I want to apply to once I move back to the states. I came across WTAMU and was shocked at how low their out-of-state tuition is. I also check EdFind and was surprised to see that it's not terribly competitive compared to many other programs (only 109 applicants). This school seems too good to be true as far as tuition. Am I missing something big here? Does anyone go to this school or know anything about the program? Thanks in advance!!!

19 minutes ago, Jess3863 said:

Hi everyone! I am in the process of weighing which schools I want to apply to once I move back to the states. I came across WTAMU and was shocked at how low their out-of-state tuition is. I also check EdFind and was surprised to see that it's not terribly competitive compared to many other programs (only 109 applicants). This school seems too good to be true as far as tuition. Am I missing something big here? Does anyone go to this school or know anything about the program? Thanks in advance!!!

I’m not sure. My first SLP supervisor was a professor there. She said it was a good program, just you have to live in the Amarillo/Canyon area. I mean, I haven’t been over to the area in a LONG time. I’m in Lubbock (TTUHSC) is where I did my UG. I think most people want to go to TTUHSC and then ENMU as their second choice in the area, and overlook WTAMU. But my supervisor said it was a good program- I trust what she says. I am starting TWU online in May. I have to work (married with kids... lots of financial responsibilities) so I can’t afford to quit or I would have probably gone there. I admit I forgot about them until someone talked about WT in general at work. TTUHSC is super competitive, but a great program. 

Hi!! I’m currently a grad student at WTAMU and I loooove it! I think they don’t receive many applicants because they don’t utilize CSDCAS and it’s located in a really smal town. Not many people know about their out-of-state tuition waiver (I had no idea until I was accepted), which is a shame because it would save a lot of ppl from taking out a lot of loans. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program! 

10 hours ago, GeeLee said:

Hi!! I’m currently a grad student at WTAMU and I loooove it! I think they don’t receive many applicants because they don’t utilize CSDCAS and it’s located in a really smal town. Not many people know about their out-of-state tuition waiver (I had no idea until I was accepted), which is a shame because it would save a lot of ppl from taking out a lot of loans. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the program! 

Right.. you said exactly what I thought- small area (Amarillo/Canyon) and people kind of forget about them. I know that applicants (including myself) apply for TTUHSC first...and if they are waitlisted (I was) or denied admission, the next move is usually ENMU if they are out here in the Lubbock area. I didn't ever finish my application to ENMU, I had started it, but never finished... I wasn't jazzed about spending at 2 afternoons a week in their clinic during the long semesters for my first practicum. I work in a school district as a SLPA not too far from the TX border and I actually forgot about WT until I met my first SLP supervisor. She had been a prof there a few years ago and told me about the program and we discussed how I couldn't quit for 2 years to finish my degree. Anyways, I'm glad you enjoy your program!!