How does the application process for grad school work?

Okay so I’ve made previous posts on here and stated I’m an undergrad sophomore. How does the application process work for grad school? Like do they consider my grades up until my last semester of senior year or do I apply after fall semester of senior year? Obviously I still have to do well spring semester I’m just confused because I’m seeing on here people are still waiting to hear back for an interview and I have friends that are seniors who already heard back for medical school or occupational therapy grad school. Sorry if my question seems done I just really don’t know!!

Hi! I don't know much about the graduate school application process for SPL, but I would suggest you maybe talk to a trusted professor about the process. You're also just a sophomore, so I wouldn't stress about the specifics about what point in your senior year to submit your application. It's a little early to worry about that. However, I'm sure SPL folks on the forum can give you some guidance!

Honestly, like most questions people ask on here the answer depends on the program. I think some might be sticklers and want you to have all the prereqs completed before you apply. However, I think most programs would let you apply during the fall of your senior year, especially if you're a CSD major. For schools with earlier deadlines you may not be able to submit the fall grades when you submit the application. If the school does their applications through CSDCAS, then there is an academic update window that provides you time to resubmit your transcript with fall grades included. In any case you'll have to submit your final transcript before you begin, so they'll definitely know your spring grades. You have to make sure you don't bomb your final semester, but if you're applying while still in school then obviously the last semester won't be factored into your GPA when applying.

Alternatively, yeah, you can definitely take a gap year (or few) if you want--you could maybe get some related work experience, which would look great on an application and help to overcome any potential weak areas. If you have a great senior year, then waiting could also bump up your GPA. My cohort has a bunch of people who came in straight out of undergrad and another bunch who waited a while, so it definitely could work either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! The process can be very confusing, definitely. For most schools that I applied to, the deadlines were in either December or January of my senior year. If I remember right, I submitted my applications before fall grades were in and then just uploaded it or sent it once they were finalized. Once I was admitted to programs and had chosen, then I sent my spring grades for my final semester when they became available, which the program required. The process for SLP school is different than for OT or medical school. It's tempting to compare them but programs and disciplines run their admissions process differently. It takes a couple months for the programs to get through the applications. I applied to one that was a rolling admissions so I heard from them at the end of February. Most other programs sent out their responses mid-March to early April, so it's very normal to have seniors still waiting on interviews at this point. Hope this helps!