Starting PhD after 5 years of lab experience- practical decision ?

Wonwoman

Question

Hi,

I have a bachelor's degree in biotechnology from India with GPA 3.82/4. I have a 5 years of work experience in molecular biology laboratory. I have four posters so far ( two as a first author, presented at international conferences). I want to stay in research lab in industry as research team lead and later technical director or CTO. After doing some research on people who are currently working at these positions, I found that most of them are PhDs. I have applied to some good PhD programs in Cancer Biology and  molecular biology in US universities. I am also applying to some masters programs. After having discussion on the same topic with peers and mentors, I received mixed feedback ,i.e, some said that PhD is not necessary for the positions that you aim to hold in future whereas some think otherwise. 

Is it a wise decision to start a PhD so late in the career ?

Suggestions and opinions are welcomed !

2 answers to this question

I do not see why not. I don't see anything wrong with applying to PhD so late in career.  I think many schools would appreciate that you have taken the time off to get to know yourself, to know what you really like and still be in this field. Your 5 years experience may be the only thing that distinguished you from the other applicants. You're special because you still hav the passion even after 5 years. Imo i don't think it's bad idea. 
To me, PhD is where you can go beyond, breaking the ceiling. I was a bachelor and worked at a research facility. All I see that is I have to go up, not in terms of position at work, but up in terms of knowledge. Many of the PhD people I talked to, are very knowledgeable, and of course they are high in position so earned more money lol

On 12/23/2018 at 1:06 AM, Wonwoman said:

Hi,

I have a bachelor's degree in biotechnology from India with GPA 3.82/4. I have a 5 years of work experience in molecular biology laboratory. I have four posters so far ( two as a first author, presented at international conferences). I want to stay in research lab in industry as research team lead and later technical director or CTO. After doing some research on people who are currently working at these positions, I found that most of them are PhDs. I have applied to some good PhD programs in Cancer Biology and  molecular biology in US universities. I am also applying to some masters programs. After having discussion on the same topic with peers and mentors, I received mixed feedback ,i.e, some said that PhD is not necessary for the positions that you aim to hold in future whereas some think otherwise. 

Is it a wise decision to start a PhD so late in the career ?

Suggestions and opinions are welcomed !

Wow I am in the same situation as you are. I also worked at a research institution for 5 years and now would like to pursue a PhD. I applied to only one university this time. If I get rejected I will need to look for more schools to apply for 2020, plus I was looking to see how I could enrich my career further this summer.