Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Interview?

BDancey

Want to ask any current students or past interviewees about what the interview was like (for biomedical science).
What sort of questions were you asked? Do you have any idea on what a persons odds are (for admission) after being invited for an interview? 
Any general tips on how to do well?
This is my first academic interview so I'm nervous.

This is also my first interview, and I don't really know what to expect. I was told by my graduate mentor that the questions are usually simple and easy, they aren't going to grill you on your previous research, but they want to know why you want to be here and what you've done. 

29 minutes ago, Renalee said:

I'm wondering what the student interviews are like, as they're an hour long.

The student interview was actually 20 minutes. Each student interviewed 3 applicants within one hour. It was very relaxed and the only thing that they asked me was about what my research was. The faculty interviews were also very relaxed. They just ask you about your research. I think I only spent 2-3 minutes on that and then most of the interview was spent talking about their own research or things about the school. I do recommend that you read their previous papers.

This place just became my first choice.  If you hear anything about post interview acceptance rates for this year would you mind updating this thread? 

22 hours ago, BDancey said:

The student interview was actually 20 minutes. Each student interviewed 3 applicants within one hour. It was very relaxed and the only thing that they asked me was about what my research was. The faculty interviews were also very relaxed. They just ask you about your research. I think I only spent 2-3 minutes on that and then most of the interview was spent talking about their own research or things about the school. I do recommend that you read their previous papers.

This place just became my first choice.  If you hear anything about post interview acceptance rates for this year would you mind updating this thread? 

Thanks for the info! I fly out tomorrow for my interview so I'll make sure to go over a  couple papers on the plane.

2 hours ago, skyw said:

Hey, Is there anyone is faculty interview doesn't include a single faculty of interest in their application?  kinda nervous about the situation. 

I ended up with a "free time" period on mine where it looks like a fourth faculty interview was supposed to be? At least comparing the example schedule with the one I actually got.

Maybe your faculty of choice had a lot of scheduling conflicts? For another school I had to give them more faculty I was interested in since some of my choices were busy/weren't taking students this year.

7 hours ago, skyw said:

Hey, Is there anyone is faculty interview doesn't include a single faculty of interest in their application?  kinda nervous about the situation. 

Mine did not include any of the faculty that I picked on my application. It's really not a big deal. The MTA directors will have the final call on who gets in. I would definitely talk to both directors + faculty you're interested in working with on the first or second day during lunch hours.

3 minutes ago, BDancey said:

Mine did not include any of the faculty that I picked on my application. It's really not a big deal. The MTA directors will have the final call on who gets in. I would definitely talk to both directors + faculty you're interested in working with on the first or second day during lunch hours.

wow, thanks for the information. I just looked at the faculty interviewers, and their research direction is really beyond my understanding that's why that I feel nervous. 

Just now, skyw said:

wow, thanks for the information. I just looked at the faculty interviewers, and their research direction is really beyond my understanding that's why that I feel nervous. 

I had one interview with a faculty member whose work was very unfamiliar to me. She went over her research in depth so I could understand, but we mostly talked about why I applied to Mt. Sinai and what my actual research goals are. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard back after the interview, a rejection for me. I am pretty upset about it because Mt. Sinai was hands down my first choice school, but also I am applying straight out of undergrad, and it seemed like most applicants at my interview were more advanced (had 2-3 years post-bacc research or a masters), so I don't feel all bitter and cheated, just a bit sad. Good luck to the rest of you all!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just wanted to reply to this in case it helps somebody in the future. My Mount Sinai interview seemed like it was broken into 3 parts. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but that's what it seemed like. None of the faculty were on my faculty of interest. The first interviewer asked me about my research and went into specifics like cell types and reasoning and what my conclusion was. The second interviewer asked about my personal background like where I grew up but barely mentioned my research experience. The third interviewer asked why I wanted to go to Mount Sinai and then asked a little about my background and explained to me what the environment at Sinai is like. 

The impression that I got from the faculty and students is that it's a very friendly and collaborative environment. It's also my #1 choice so I'm glad they send out acceptances and rejections within 2 weeks because I'm already refreshing my application multiple times a day. ?