do people transfer from one to another phd program?

summertouch

I am wondering if that's a big no-no or if it actually happens quite often. I never thought this could be an option but someone actually advised me today that it's a viable one and that I shouldn't worry about the "morality" issue. What are your thoughts? I got an offer that I'm not quite sure about and in case I do accept it, I'm just dreading that I might end up thinking of transferring.. any ideas? thanks in advance.

I am wondering if that's a big no-no or if it actually happens quite often. I never thought this could be an option but someone actually advised me today that it's a viable one and that I shouldn't worry about the "morality" issue. What are your thoughts? I got an offer that I'm not quite sure about and in case I do accept it, I'm just dreading that I might end up thinking of transferring.. any ideas? thanks in advance.

Well, there are good reasons to transfer, and there are bad reasons to transfer. A good reason to transfer might be something like, your advisor left the school and no other faculty do research in your subfield. In other words, you went to the school with the fullest intention of making things work out, but circumstances are simply out of your control. In a situation like this, generally the department will also recognize that it is better for you to be elsewhere. This is critical, because remember that you will have to get LORs from profs at that school. Also, you will have to explain in your SOP why you want to start over, and badmouthing the school or saying "I just didn't like it" are on most "SOP death kisses" lists I've read.

On the other hand, some people who don't get into a top-ranked PhD program their first time around go to a lower one with the intention of transferring. THIS is not a good idea. Firstly, if you see your place as 'temporary' it will affect your work and your relationships with the all-important LOR-writing profs. Secondly, what if you apply and don't get in? Transferring grad programs is not like transferring undergrad. You will be in the same pool as "first-time" applicants, except your application may be scrutinized even more heavily (why does R want to leave Harvard? does Q not get along well with people? was the coursework too challenging? etc). Also, and policies on this do vary slightly, if you did apply again, successfully, you would almost certainly enter the new program as a first-year student again. Some of your credits might transfer, especially if you stay through an MA--maybe. At most schools I looked at (I'm not in art history, but I imagine it's similar), you could transfer in at most TWO previous classes.

Bottom line: transferring is an option if, once you get to a school, you find out it's not the place for you. However, you should NEVER, EVER, EVER go to a program with the INTENT to transfer. Because look, what if you apply to transfer and then don't get in anywhere? Are you really going to be able to be comfortable in your current program, when everyone there knows you tried to get out of dodge?

(Note: I was a transfer student as an undergrad, so I am very sympathetic to worries of 'I don't know if I'll like it.' The best advice I have is, visit the campus, talk to profs, talk to students, and if you are not wildly enthusiastic, don't do it. Don't take the offer. If you're still aiming for a PhD, apply again in the fall).

Well, there are good reasons to transfer, and there are bad reasons to transfer. A good reason to transfer might be something like, your advisor left the school and no other faculty do research in your subfield. In other words, you went to the school with the fullest intention of making things work out, but circumstances are simply out of your control. In a situation like this, generally the department will also recognize that it is better for you to be elsewhere. This is critical, because remember that you will have to get LORs from profs at that school. Also, you will have to explain in your SOP why you want to start over, and badmouthing the school or saying "I just didn't like it" are on most "SOP death kisses" lists I've read.

On the other hand, some people who don't get into a top-ranked PhD program their first time around go to a lower one with the intention of transferring. THIS is not a good idea. Firstly, if you see your place as 'temporary' it will affect your work and your relationships with the all-important LOR-writing profs. Secondly, what if you apply and don't get in? Transferring grad programs is not like transferring undergrad. You will be in the same pool as "first-time" applicants, except your application may be scrutinized even more heavily (why does R want to leave Harvard? does Q not get along well with people? was the coursework too challenging? etc). Also, and policies on this do vary slightly, if you did apply again, successfully, you would almost certainly enter the new program as a first-year student again. Some of your credits might transfer, especially if you stay through an MA--maybe. At most schools I looked at (I'm not in art history, but I imagine it's similar), you could transfer in at most TWO previous classes.

Bottom line: transferring is an option if, once you get to a school, you find out it's not the place for you. However, you should NEVER, EVER, EVER go to a program with the INTENT to transfer. Because look, what if you apply to transfer and then don't get in anywhere? Are you really going to be able to be comfortable in your current program, when everyone there knows you tried to get out of dodge?

(Note: I was a transfer student as an undergrad, so I am very sympathetic to worries of 'I don't know if I'll like it.' The best advice I have is, visit the campus, talk to profs, talk to students, and if you are not wildly enthusiastic, don't do it. Don't take the offer. If you're still aiming for a PhD, apply again in the fall).

Thank you for your thoughtful answer. Thankfully I have a chance to visit the campus pretty soon and I'm hoping that will clear things up. Thanks!