Reference letter delay

ekat97

Question

I'm applying for McGill's MA in English (which has its application deadline as January 15). I've noted that other grad schools have a separate deadline for the reference letters, with most of them stating that they should be received within 2 weeks of the deadline. McGill however has the deadline for everything, including reference letters, as January 15. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with what would happen if my reference does not submit the letter in on time? Would the application still be accepted if the letter is uploaded a few days late, or is it an automatic disqualification from being considered? 

Please let me know!!! Thanks in advance. 

2 answers to this question

Schools will often be a little lenient regarding reference letters since those are out of your immediate control. However, you don't want too much time to lapse. Have you talked to the faculty who was providing your letter(s)? If it's the same faculty, if they've written others, then it shouldn't be a long process to adapt the letter for this program. Maybe you can reach out and remind them of the deadline? This depends on the type of relationship you have with them and when you last spoke with them. 

i'm in a similar boat... i think a lot of schools don't really care if you're slightly late, but you can't go crazy with the delay.  i don't know, i'm just speculating based on what i've observed.  anyone else able to weigh in with more evidence/experience?