Shoes for female interview visit- do they make or break you?

chemiscool

TL;WR: Are all dark tennis shoes really that bad for a non- business professional interview weekend with walking when I don't have a lot of shoe options? Will casual shoes ruin my chances if I'm dressed business casual?

I have an interview coming up in a week or so for chemistry. I was told we didn't need to worry about wearing suits, and that the atmosphere was casual for the weekend. That said, I plan to be more business casual than "just presentable" casual.

Unfortunately, I have a healing foot injury and cannot wear heels or flats and don't currently have nice shoes as I wear tennis shoes for lab. 

Is it okay to wear sneakers if this isn't business professional and I was told casual but I want to look presentable? Will they even see my feet? Flats don't have enough support for my feet and we'll be walking a lot. 

37 minutes ago, chemiscool said:

TL;WR: Are all dark tennis shoes really that bad for a non- business professional interview weekend with walking when I don't have a lot of shoe options? Will casual shoes ruin my chances if I'm dressed business casual?

I have an interview coming up in a week or so for chemistry. I was told we didn't need to worry about wearing suits, and that the atmosphere was casual for the weekend. That said, I plan to be more business casual than "just presentable" casual.

Unfortunately, I have a healing foot injury and cannot wear heels or flats and don't currently have nice shoes as I wear tennis shoes for lab. 

Is it okay to wear sneakers if this isn't business professional and I was told casual but I want to look presentable? Will they even see my feet? Flats don't have enough support for my feet and we'll be walking a lot. 

I think it’s totally fine to wear tennis shoes, especially given your circumstances. If someone doesn’t want to work with you because of your shoes, then I think that’s a red flag that their priorities are in the wrong place. 

2 minutes ago, Moods said:

I think it’s totally fine to wear tennis shoes, especially given your circumstances. If someone doesn’t want to work with you because of your shoes, then I think that’s a red flag that their priorities are in the wrong place. 

Thank you for your response, I was hoping that'd be the case!