Fall 2019 Public Policy Phd Applications

timscoffee

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 4:05 PM, lala_la said:

I didn't hear a thing. I think it's a bit early considering results from last year, but I'm a bit worried about no interviews. Do most PP schools do interviews? I saw someone had an interview with NYU.

Have not heard anything yet, am equally worried about interviews and curious if it is true that someone has had an interview with Wagner.

Thanks for starting this thread! 

I was the one who posted about an interview with Wagner. It wasn't anything formal so I wouldn't be worried if you didn't hear anything  - it was just one professor who I had listed in my application wanted to talk more about whether our research interests aligned. Haven't heard anything since then. 

I saw someone posted yesterday that they got admitted - congrats to that person!

Edited by bongo

8 hours ago, bongo said:

Thanks for starting this thread! 

I was the one who posted about an interview with Wagner. It wasn't anything formal so I wouldn't be worried if you didn't hear anything  - it was just one professor who I had listed in my application wanted to talk more about whether our research interests aligned. Haven't heard anything since then. 

I saw someone posted yesterday that they got admitted - congrats to that person!

Good to know! I spoke to my "main" professor in person before submitting my application, so I will remain hopeful pretending like that makes up for it. 

Where did you see someone post that they got admitted? Do we know how many spots they have this year?

It was on the results page, if you search 'public administration'. And yes, it sounds like that's exactly the same sort of 'interview' I had, so I wouldn't worry! 

No idea how many people they're planning to take this year, but their website FAQs says they usually take 5-8 each year. 

Which other policy programs did y'all apply to? 

I'm still waiting to hear back from Chicago, Harvard Kennedy, Harvard TH Chan, George Washington and Oxford. Rejected from Duke and accepted to Washington Evans (yay!). 

Shows how long it's been since I was on TGC last, forgot about the results page. That someone got accepted already is perhaps not the best sign.

I will admit that this year was mostly a feeler-year for me, with only two applications out, Harris and Wagner. 

Congrats on Evans, hopefully you will be accepted to others, too! Would you care to share some info about yourself (here or in PM)?

23 hours ago, bongo said:

Which other policy programs did y'all apply to? 

This is actually the second time I've applied to PhD programs. I was admitted the first time around but fresh out of my master's and did not feel my goals were defined enough to commit. Ended up taking a great job offer instead. My applications were limited this go around as my goals are now very specific. Happy to exchange details via direct messages. 

Wow! Didnt think people would start talking!

I applied to a few econ and a few public policy programs. So far only rejection at econ schools. I got in an Agricultural and Resource Economics program and got waitlisted at an Econ one.

About the PPol schools, just got rejected at Michigan for the joint PPol&Econ. ? Waiting for Harris, Kennedy and Carnegie Mellon, but not very optimistic...  For some reason I had a feeling they would interview (unlike Econ programs) and I didnt get any interviews so far for these schools. Do you know if they all interview?

Edited by lala_la

3 minutes ago, lala_la said:

Wow! Didnt think people would start talking!

I applied to a few econ and a few public policy programs. So far only rejection at econ schools. I got in an Agricultural and Resource Economics program and got waitlisted at an Econ one.

About the PPol schools, just got rejected at Michigan for the joint PPol&Econ. ? Waiting for Harris, Kennedy and Carnegie Mellon, but not very optimistic...  For some reason I had a feeling they would interview (unlike Econ programs) and I didnt get any interviews so far for these schools. Do you know if they all interview?

Congrats on the agricultural & resource acceptance! 

As far as I know Harris and Kennedy don't interview... at least I haven't seen anyone posting about interviews in previous years for those programs. 

Harris' website says they'll release decisions in 'late feb' so hopefully we'll find out tomorrow! 

Just received a rejection by email. Not terribly surprised, but still dejected, especially since the only other one I applied to (Harris) was the one I felt _less_ likely about, but still have not heard from.

In the end, this was my feeler year, and I admit it was also a somewhat late decision on my part. I will accept the job offer I seem to be getting (data analyst at a policy non-profit, good job and good on the resume) and start saving money... perhaps in a year or two I will apply again, with more savings, too.

Good luck to everyone else, I hope you get in!

On 3/1/2019 at 11:42 AM, RobinL said:

Just received a rejection by email. Not terribly surprised, but still dejected, especially since the only other one I applied to (Harris) was the one I felt _less_ likely about, but still have not heard from.

In the end, this was my feeler year, and I admit it was also a somewhat late decision on my part. I will accept the job offer I seem to be getting (data analyst at a policy non-profit, good job and good on the resume) and start saving money... perhaps in a year or two I will apply again, with more savings, too.

Good luck to everyone else, I hope you get in!

Sorry to hear! And good luck with the other projects!

I also got the rejection letter and assuming a Harvard rejection at this point also. Now I'm just waiting to hear about some econ programs.

Good luck everyone!