How to cancel interviews / how to pick which interviews I attend

youngqueerliving

Hi everyone! I got accepted at one of my top choice clinical psych PhD programs, which is really exciting, but I'm struggling with how to move forward. I still want to attend some of the interviews I've gotten, but I'm struggling with how to decide which ones I attend. Also, there are several that I definitely don't want to attend now that I've been accepted, so I'm wondering how to best cancel those interviews in a gracious way. 

Curious how you would all proceed. 

Thanks so much!

First off, congratulations on your acceptance!! That is very exciting news and kudos to you :)

As a first round Canadian applicant, I don't have this issue (Canadian unis don't seem to have clashing interview weekends as much as the States cuz fewer schools/we do our interviews via phone or Skype it seems); that being said, I would notify those schools that you definitely do NOT want to attend, asap-- you can be honest "I have been accepted at another institution" or simply just "Thank you for the gracious interview invite, however I must decline....".  It seems the coordinators of grad schools are very kind and understanding, so if you're honest you got accepted to another program, they generally won't hold any bad blood and are more than happy for your acceptance.

Please, if possible, do this asap so your interview spot can be given to other, likely also stressed-out, applicants :) Good luck!