First PhD interview - how to prep?

galois

So I've just been invited to my first interview, which should be a 30min Skype call. 

I have absolutely no idea what to expect in questions nor what I should try to convey. I've gotten pretty good at interviewing in industry, but it seems like this is different. I'm worried about sounding like an idiot since my research interests are so vague.

For those with experience, what's the typical format, what will result in a good impression, and what differences are there, if any, from normal job interviews?

(Also, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't figure out how to search just the stats subforum - if there's a way, can someone post a link?)

Edited by galois

7 hours ago, stlearn said:

I'm sorry that my comment wouldn't be any help, but if you don't mind, could you tell me where you got your interview request?

UC Irvine

13 hours ago, galois said:

So I've just been invited to my first interview, which should be a 30min Skype call. 

I have absolutely no idea what to expect in questions nor what I should try to convey. I've gotten pretty good at interviewing in industry, but it seems like this is different. I'm worried about sounding like an idiot since my research interests are so vague.

For those with experience, what's the typical format, what will result in a good impression, and what differences are there, if any, from normal job interviews?

(Also, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't figure out how to search just the stats subforum - if there's a way, can someone post a link?)

I didn't do any interviews so I can't help you on that front, but to search just the stats subforum, click on the search bar in the top right, enter your search term, and then click "This Forum" under the heading "SEARCH IN." Here are the results I got when I searched "interview" in this subforum: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/search/?q=interview&type=forums_topic&nodes=48. Good luck!

Generally, these aren't really interviews in a traditional sense but are more of an opportunity for YOU to learn more about the program. They might ask a little about your previous research if any, why you're interested in getting a PhD/career interests, what interests you about their department. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, bayessays said:

Generally, these aren't really interviews in a traditional sense but are more of an opportunity for YOU to learn more about the program. They might ask a little about your previous research if any, why you're interested in getting a PhD/career interests, what interests you about their department. 

I have an interview tomorrow so I am kind of in the same boat. I don't have too many questions, but a lot of mine are about placement, the life of their graduate students, the atmosphere of the department and also the nearby community. Would it be rude (or too presumptuous) to ask about the type of support graduate students can expect? Thanks!

I think you'll be able to tell by the tone if it's ok to ask that towards the end. In my interview we had a very casual (but fruitful) conversation. I didn't ask that but I'm sure I could have.

1 hour ago, BL250604 said:

I have an interview tomorrow so I am kind of in the same boat. I don't have too many questions, but a lot of mine are about placement, the life of their graduate students, the atmosphere of the department and also the nearby community. Would it be rude (or too presumptuous) to ask about the type of support graduate students can expect? Thanks!

I'm late to help galois, but maybe the tips on this link http://www.urch.com/forums/blogs/xanthusares/348-tips-interviews.html are generic enough to help you with your interview, @BL250604 . Good luck!

On 2/9/2019 at 2:48 PM, galois said:

I think you'll be able to tell by the tone if it's ok to ask that towards the end. In my interview we had a very casual (but fruitful) conversation. I didn't ask that but I'm sure I could have.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking as well. I don't want to be too presumptuous, and if it comes up, great, if not, it's information I can find out elsewhere I'm sure. 

• 9 months later...