Who else to contact about my application status?

egooririexruinam

Question

I have 2 pending applications  -- let's say university A & B:

- I only received automated email from their graduate admissions that they already forwarded my application to the department's graduate advisor.
- department's website refers application status inquiry to their graduate secretary; tried to email GS but auto-response states she has already retired
- emailed graduate advisor twice but he's not responding to my email
* application website does not show anything
= who else can I contact to check the status of my application? can I email the department head? I have no previous contact with any(prospective) professors in that dept.

B
- graduate admissions replied to my email stating they already forwarded my application to the department
- department's website refers application status inquiry to their graduate secretary; emailed twice but was not getting any response
* no application website to check the status
= can I email the prospective professor who interviewed me? or should I contact the graduate advisor?

2 answers to this question

I know it's stressful, but just try to wait. You know they have your applications. They are being flooded by people asking the same thing. If anything, go to the results page and see when these programs have sent out invites historically, so you can get a sense of when to expect to hear something. Emailing the programs and POIs runs the risk of you aggravating them, which wouldn't work in your favor. 

this may also be discipline-specific but most program websites I've seen specifically say not to email the department asking about your application, as they have a lot of applications to work through and will inform everyone when they've come to a decision. if they have this policy and you email them anyway, like @PsyDGrad90 says you risk annoying the department, which won't help anything.