I have five weeks to study for the GRE and I have to get into the 30th percentile. Is this doable ?

Jasmineflower78

The masters program I am applying to in April of this year requires a GRE score in the 30th percentile. I have no idea what that means. I am studying every day for up to four hours and have started since January 1st, however, I am just not grasping the math portion at all. I haven’t done real math in years. I am so worried that I won’t get into my ONE Chosen program, and will be left with no other options. I am applying to CSUSM specialized one year MBA program. Gpa as a undergrad 4.0 ... community college 3.0 or something like that. 

I am using Magoosh to study and the ets prep books and also the 5lb Manhattan GRE prep book. 

What do you think? Can I get better in five weeks and score in the 30th percentile ?

The best thing you can do is practice tests and drills, especially if your math is weak. Memorize key formulas and really get used to solving those types of problems. If you're struggling with rusty math concepts you haven't used since grade school, KhanAcademy is a really helpful teaching resource. I had less than a week to study before my GRE and I managed to get 50% or more in all 3 categories, so you can definitely do it! Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 1:06 AM, Jasmineflower78 said:

The masters program I am applying to in April of this year requires a GRE score in the 30th percentile. I have no idea what that means. I am studying every day for up to four hours and have started since January 1st, however, I am just not grasping the math portion at all. I haven’t done real math in years. I am so worried that I won’t get into my ONE Chosen program, and will be left with no other options. I am applying to CSUSM specialized one year MBA program. Gpa as a undergrad 4.0 ... community college 3.0 or something like that. 

I am using Magoosh to study and the ets prep books and also the 5lb Manhattan GRE prep book. 

What do you think? Can I get better in five weeks and score in the 30th percentile ?

The general GRE is way easier than you think.  Most people make above 30th percentile...which is why it is called the 30th percentile (that's the low side).  That doesn't mean top 30th, it is the value for lower numbers.  Shoot for 150, for the most part, that's 50th+ percentile.

Also, for the basic geometry and math, try Khan Academy.  It's free.

Are you studying math problems directly from Manhattan 5 lb? That book has a lot of incredibly difficult questions. Maybe you could start with Manhattan's strategy guides, which give a conceptual understanding, eventually escalating difficulty of problems, and handy shortcuts. In case you want any of those guides, I'd love to share them with you!

Also, rehashing what everyone's already said: 30th percentile is very doable, even when you've been out of touch with math for a while.