Introverts, how do you survive interview weekends?

sgaw10

I'm mainly concerned about "optional" events and leaving more casual gatherings earlier than most. Are optional events truly optional? Is leaving early okay? I don't want to give off the impression that I am uninterested. Being around people all day AND interviewing with intimidating ones are just exhausting!

28 minutes ago, paraent said:

I honestly don't think they're all that optional and would recommend conveying interest in any authentic-seeming way you can. I relate really hard with where you're coming from, but this is a high-stakes game, yknow?

This is the impression I have, too. Just wanted to make sure.

@sgaw10 So, I have some advice from my experience with visiting the University of Michigan in October. It wasn't an interview, just a visit weekend, however I still had many awkward moments.

The first hour is going to be awful because you have to continuously convince yourself to interact with people. You don't have to be the person talking all the time, but engaging in conversation can be tough since you barely know anyone. However, once you get over that, I feel like it gets better. You will start finding people to connect with, and wouldn't mind being quiet around, especially if they are introvert themselves.

As people said, it will be exhausting. When in Michigan, grad students took visitors to a bar after dinner and some ice cream. Once we arrived, I was really not feeling it, especially after waking up at 6:30am that morning, visiting various labs, talking with faculty, touring the campus, meeting a lot of new people, and going to presentations. I was exhausted, but then these two other visitors I had talked to throughout the day asked if I wanted to head back to the hotel. I was like, "yes!". However, I feel like since where you are going to is an actual interview, I would have stayed for a little bit before heading back to connect with grad students and other applicants, if I was in your position. Don't push your limits, though. If you are tired, go to bed. It's good to make connections, but you also want to be well-rested during your interview weekend.

Also, remember that you aren't the only one who won't know anyone nor the only introvert that will be there. Everyone has to get over that initial hump of introductions, and sadly extroverts seem to have an easier time at this, but you totally got this! Good luck with the interview!!!

1 hour ago, Moods said:

@sgaw10 So, I have some advice from my experience with visiting the University of Michigan in October. It wasn't an interview, just a visit weekend, however I still had many awkward moments.

The first hour is going to be awful because you have to continuously convince yourself to interact with people. You don't have to be the person talking all the time, but engaging in conversation can be tough since you barely know anyone. However, once you get over that, I feel like it gets better. You will start finding people to connect with, and wouldn't mind being quiet around, especially if they are introvert themselves.

As people said, it will be exhausting. When in Michigan, grad students took visitors to a bar after dinner and some ice cream. Once we arrived, I was really not feeling it, especially after waking up at 6:30am that morning, visiting various labs, talking with faculty, touring the campus, meeting a lot of new people, and going to presentations. I was exhausted, but then these two other visitors I had talked to throughout the day asked if I wanted to head back to the hotel. I was like, "yes!". However, I feel like since where you are going to is an actual interview, I would have stayed for a little bit before heading back to connect with grad students and other applicants, if I was in your position. Don't push your limits, though. If you are tired, go to bed. It's good to make connections, but you also want to be well-rested during your interview weekend.

Also, remember that you aren't the only one who won't know anyone nor the only introvert that will be there. Everyone has to get over that initial hump of introductions, and sadly extroverts seem to have an easier time at this, but you totally got this! Good luck with the interview!!!

Thank you. Appreciate it!