Is it a bad idea to get an MSW in a state I don’t want to live in?

doctormelody

Title is pretty self explanatory. I really don’t want to settle in PA long-term and neither does my partner. However, after speaking to some professionals in the field I am worried about the potential lost networking opportunities from attending a school in an area where I don’t plan to live after I graduate. Also slightly worried, though less so, about how licensing requirements may vary from state to state. Can anyone speak to the difficulty of this? Am I exaggerating the extent of the problem? 

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you plan to move before starting hours towards your license. If you know you will move to a state with more complex requirements than PA after you start hours then instead of paying to transfer the license you pay have to retake exams or gain more hours under an LCSW. 

Its always a good idea to network at any event, conference, etc so you have connections in your field across multiple states and you can start that at any time. 

But as I said I don't think it should be a major concern. A lot of people move after receiving their degree or even after receiving their license. If it's comforting  then look into the license requirements in PA and the state you are considering moving to so you understand if there are any requirements to be aware of or prepare for. 

28 minutes ago, a.s. said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you plan to move before starting hours towards your license. If you know you will move to a state with more complex requirements than PA after you start hours then instead of paying to transfer the license you pay have to retake exams or gain more hours under an LCSW. 

Its always a good idea to network at any event, conference, etc so you have connections in your field across multiple states and you can start that at any time. 

But as I said I don't think it should be a major concern. A lot of people move after receiving their degree or even after receiving their license. If it's comforting  then look into the license requirements in PA and the state you are considering moving to so you understand if there are any requirements to be aware of or prepare for. 

Thank you so much! We're not sure where we're gonna move yet but my old therapist who is an LCSW told me that the most difficult places to get licensed are NY, CA, and VA. Can anyone speak to this?

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

Title is pretty self explanatory. I really don’t want to settle in PA long-term and neither does my partner. However, after speaking to some professionals in the field I am worried about the potential lost networking opportunities from attending a school in an area where I don’t plan to live after I graduate. Also slightly worried, though less so, about how licensing requirements may vary from state to state. Can anyone speak to the difficulty of this? Am I exaggerating the extent of the problem? 

I would not worry about it. There is always more networking to be done. I am applying all over the place in terms of different states. I am seeing it as a time to have an experience. People move all the time! 

1 hour ago, Capturedvitality said:

I would not worry about it. There is always more networking to be done. I am applying all over the place in terms of different states. I am seeing it as a time to have an experience. People move all the time! 

Thanks for replying - you're right, I'm probably worrying too much. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 3:40 PM, doctormelody said:

Thank you so much! We're not sure where we're gonna move yet but my old therapist who is an LCSW told me that the most difficult places to get licensed are NY, CA, and VA. Can anyone speak to this?

My professor said when she moved to NY from FL, she had to include her syllabus from her PhD Clinical Psychology program, along with everything else to get licensed up there.