Is there any disadvantages for taking a class for an R (reading) credit?

kjwhk64

Question

I'm a sociology MA student and am thinking about taking one of my electives as an R (reading) credit. So, I'll go to class, do the readings, do the assignments, but I won't have to submit a final paper and will get an R grade instead of a letter grade or P/F. Is there any disadvantage for doing this when it comes to PhD admissions?

3 answers to this question

Can you take a class for an R as a grad student?! That's cool! For my program we had to take all classes for a grade and couldn't receive less than a B. 

In general, I'd say take the grade. But it's also an elective and those matter less than the core courses.

If the reading is in your field, them it should be okay.  It's all how you spin it.  If you spend the semester reading sociology papers, you can consider it like research.  If you spend a semester reading Shakespeare, maybe not so much.

3 hours ago, kjwhk64 said:

Is there any disadvantage for doing this when it comes to PhD admissions?

There are a few disadvantages.

You can end up working hard enough to get a high mark that will improve your GPA and only have a P to show for it.

You can miss opportunities to develop your writing skills.

You can miss an opportunity to develop a relationship with a professor who could potentially offer you unexpected (but needed) support.

You can miss something that might improve your understanding of a domain of knowledge because, in the back of your mind, you know you're not playing for keeps.

IRT "spin." There is no spin in graduate school. Professional academics are gatekeepers. You're not going to wow anyone with spin. And just because no one says anything to you about your "spin," it doesn't mean that it's not being discussed.