Emerson Interview - Thread 2.0

Hi all! Just got my invite to interview with Emerson. I had two questions (and feel free to contribute to this thread as I believe many people apply to Emerson):

1. In general, what are the interviews like? I only once read that Emerson's and Case Western's were more of a conversation and then a stump/tricky question that doesn't relate to SLP.
  2. Would it hurt my chances to interview via Skype? Like really... I live in Wisconsin and have another interview that Friday, and I could attempt to muster the money for a plane ticket and busy weekend if Skype interviews aren't as good for chances of admission.

Congrats! I just heard from Emerson as well!

I have heard that it doesn't hurt your chances at all if you use Skype! Also, in the past people have said Emerson's interviews are only 5 to 10 minutes-- I don't know if that's still the case, but if so, Skype definitely would make sense. 

Does anyone know what kinds of questions they will ask during the interview?

I've heard it's more of a conversation and very comfortable! Probably good to know an "elevator pitch" for why you want to be an SLP, what labs/programs you're interested in, and besides that, I hear they have very unique questions. I've read that, for the most part, you can't totally prepare. Knowing why you want to be an SLP and why you'd want to attend Emerson are key, though (and that goes for all interviews I'd imagine).

Just now, Sweetroll said:

@kate9696Congrats! Did you hear through email?

When you log in to the portal, what does it say?

Thanks! I did receive an email. Also on the portal there is a new option above where it lists the GRE and CSDCAS application stuff. You click on the link and sign up for an interview date and time. Hope this helps!

On 2/1/2019 at 5:23 PM, ubercool-RA said:

I've heard it's more of a conversation and very comfortable! Probably good to know an "elevator pitch" for why you want to be an SLP, what labs/programs you're interested in, and besides that, I hear they have very unique questions. I've read that, for the most part, you can't totally prepare. Knowing why you want to be an SLP and why you'd want to attend Emerson are key, though (and that goes for all interviews I'd imagine).

Thanks, @ubercool-RA! I see you listed the interview as taking place on 2/23. How do you know which of your preferred times they selected? Did they send you back a specific time? I requested times on 2/24, but I haven't heard back yet. 

2 hours ago, samiamslp said:

Thanks, @ubercool-RA! I see you listed the interview as taking place on 2/23. How do you know which of your preferred times they selected? Did they send you back a specific time? I requested times on 2/24, but I haven't heard back yet. 

I honestly just put the first interview date that I requested. No notification for them yet!

Edited by ubercool-RA

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! Is anyone bringing anything to their interviews this week? Resume/CV, Statement of Purpose, anything? I assume they are doing the interviews back-to-back, so I would think they wouldn't have just read our SOPs? Should I go into the interview thinking they know nothing about me before I walk into the room?

19 hours ago, samiamslp said:

Hi all! Is anyone bringing anything to their interviews this week? Resume/CV, Statement of Purpose, anything? I assume they are doing the interviews back-to-back, so I would think they wouldn't have just read our SOPs? Should I go into the interview thinking they know nothing about me before I walk into the room?

I'm doing an online interview, so I can't really help -- sorry! I would say that if you think a resume/CV or some writing sample you are proud of may make you stand out you could bring it. I only hesitate about SoP and Resume because they technically already have them.

Just completed the interview. If anybody in the future is looking through these threads, it was super harmless! I would say Emerson's doesn't really have questions you can prepare for. I was asked two questions in which no mock interview I've practiced included. Honestly, I'd imagine they'll change the questions so I'd recommend knowing why you want to be an SLP and some positive characteristics which will make you successful as a student and clinician!

6 hours ago, Procaffeination said:

Just completed the interview. If anybody in the future is looking through these threads, it was super harmless! I would say Emerson's doesn't really have questions you can prepare for. I was asked two questions in which no mock interview I've practiced included. Honestly, I'd imagine they'll change the questions so I'd recommend knowing why you want to be an SLP and some positive characteristics which will make you successful as a student and clinician!

Thanks, @Procaffeination! I'm dreading giving the "tell me about yourself" pitch which I'm assuming I'll have to give-- is that one of the questions they ended up giving you?

Thanks for the heads up-- sounds like it'll be a lot of thinking on our feet! I have mine tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, samiamslp said:

Thanks, @Procaffeination! I'm dreading giving the "tell me about yourself" pitch which I'm assuming I'll have to give-- is that one of the questions they ended up giving you?

Thanks for the heads up-- sounds like it'll be a lot of thinking on our feet! I have mine tomorrow. 

Though I can't say what they specifically asked, I am sure if you know why you love Speech Pathology or what positive attributes you can bring, you'll be more than fine! (And you'll see tomorrow after you finish!)

20 minutes ago, Procaffeination said:

Though I can't say what they specifically asked, I am sure if you know why you love Speech Pathology or what positive attributes you can bring, you'll be more than fine! (And you'll see tomorrow after you finish!)

Thank you!! I definitely have that part down! Do you know when they'll get back to us with decisions?