Not heard back from schools-others have

elyselm

I am anxiously waiting to hear back from the schools I have applied to for my PhD in Sociology. While looking over the 'results' section of this site, I saw that others have already heard back from a couple of the schools I am waiting to hear from (UCSB, UT Austin, and Rice). I checked my statuses online, and my applications are definitely still in review. I don't want to assume anything but am feeling like that means these schools are waiting to send out their rejection letters...does anyone know what is going on with this?

My answer is purely based on stalking this forums for a couple years and not personal experience: sometimes it means a rejection, sometimes it means a waitlist, and sometimes people get accepted late. Unclear why schools torture people like this, but really, it can mean a bunch of different things. I'd be lying if I didn't say it often means waitlist or rejection, but certainly not always. Fingers crossed for you!