MSW GPA?

K_Anne

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of applying to several online schools for my MSW. My primary schools are BU, Baypath University, UMichigan, Western New Mexico, and Fordham. My cumulative gpa is around a 3.3 which I know is on the lower side. I have 3 years of work experience, including 2 years in a residential setting, and 1 year doing outreach work for an in home therapy program. Are there any other schools I should be applying to that might be a good fit for my low stats? 

Interested to hear what others stats are, and their school of choice. 

University of Maryland School of Social Work. I was rejected in 2009 and accepted in 2011 and did well despite a GPA well south of yours (rhymed with eww point tea). Strong work and volunteer experience along with GRE scores in the 90th percentile got me in. 
3.3 is probably sufficient for most state schools. Did you take the GRE? 

@K_Anne hi. 

I had to take the GRE since my GPA was low and I would have probably done so anyway as I do well on those assessments. 
I would expect anything about 70th percentile on the GRE would be big points in your favor. Low scores probably wouldn't hurt. 
Social Work programs are generally looking for applicants that will be good social workers, not necessarily those with the highest GPAs. Work experience, commitment to the SW values and mission, maturity, commitment to social justice and service, overcoming personal adversity and learning from it, as well as leadership potential and experience can all be indicators of that. Powerful essays/ personal statements are likely more important than high GPAs since they set you apart from other candidates. 

I'd also recommend tailoring your message to each school as to why their program, not just any MSW, is where you really want to be.

Remember, half of the accepted applicants had GPAs lower than the median. 3.3 is not bad. Don't sell yourself short. Remember that the school is looking for diversity, not cookie-cutter candidates.
Glad to have a conversation, answer specific questions, look over essays. send me a private message if needed

Good luck!

I would echo @lincoln.hawks and say don't sell yourself short. This season is my first applying to graduate programs and so far I've been accepted to University of Chicago with a 3.14 undergrad GPA (major GPA around 3.5). I graduated from a small lib arts college in 2013 and have no clinical experience, but some experience more tangentially related to social services.

I think my statement of purpose and letters of recommendation were very strong. I also took several post-bacc courses in psychology this year and received all A's; in one course in particular I excelled and received a great rec from the professor.

I was thrilled, and admittedly surprised, to be admitted to UChicago (my top choice). It taught me that GPA is just one factor, and a potentially small one at that. The scholarship they offered me was on the lower end of the spectrum, which makes sense to me. But I am low-income and a first generation college grad, so I'm hoping for some significant need-based aid.

Basically, my undergraduate record does not reflect my current abilities or state of mind, and I think I managed to effectively convey that in my application (not that I directly addressed my GPA). I think I made my personal growth clear to see. I think I am also genuinely a good fit for UChicago's program.

Especially since it sounds like you have some great work experience under your belt, I would not worry, but rather focus on crafting a high quality, sincere statement of purpose.

Edited by zoetrope

1 hour ago, K_Anne said:

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of applying to several online schools for my MSW. My primary schools are BU, Baypath University, UMichigan, Western New Mexico, and Fordham. My cumulative gpa is around a 3.3 which I know is on the lower side. I have 3 years of work experience, including 2 years in a residential setting, and 1 year doing outreach work for an in home therapy program. Are there any other schools I should be applying to that might be a good fit for my low stats? 

Interested to hear what others stats are, and their school of choice. 

I had a 3.4 with undergrad. I went back to community college for a substance abuse lisensure so I sent those but most schools didn’t even want them. I was accepted to NYU and Boston college. You should have a good chance. If you killed it on your essay and like me you have experience