On 3/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, Keaton Williams said:

I got accepted today!  Weirdly though, the letter started out as “your application was impressive, however...” and they stated that they could not offer me a spot in the 2 year program, but could offer me a spot in the 3 year program.  I literally CRIED when I read the first few words.  But what is weird is that I didn’t apply for the 2 year....I wanted the 3 year lol sooo I just told them I accepted their offer ??‍♂️ I assume they’ll get back to me tomorrow. 

How was the interview process ?? Or was there one ? 

I was accepted to the 2 year SDSU program, but I did not have 500 hours of experience when I applied and I told them that at the time. Now that I have been admitted do you think I will need to complete these hours that were required? Or should I assume it's all good since I was admitted? They didn't say anything in my acceptance letter that stipulated that I needed to complete hours.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:17 PM, lt97 said:

I was accepted to the 2 year SDSU program, but I did not have 500 hours of experience when I applied and I told them that at the time. Now that I have been admitted do you think I will need to complete these hours that were required? Or should I assume it's all good since I was admitted? They didn't say anything in my acceptance letter that stipulated that I needed to complete hours.

•  

I wouldn’t say anything lol 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - congratulations!  I'm lurking here because I'll be applying for Fall 2020 and had two questions about the GRE:

1. Does the SDSU MSW program consider ALL the GRE scores, or just the Analytical Writing Score?  A program representative emailed me that the GRE is required, but didn't mention that only part of the GRE is considered in the selection process.

2. Does anyone know whether - if you already have a Masters degree from an accredited school - they'll waive the GRE requirement?  Again, the admin said there is no waiver, but I found something deep in the web that implies a waiver may be possible if you already have a Masters.

Background: I took the paper GRE in the '90s, got a masters from Case Western around 2000, but will have to take the GRE again because my scores are too old. I'm dreading having to take the GRE again now and will be much relieved if they only look at the writing score (or if I qualify for a waiver!).

Thank you for your help!  

12 hours ago, Nicole D said:

Hi all - congratulations!  I'm lurking here because I'll be applying for Fall 2020 and had two questions about the GRE:

1. Does the SDSU MSW program consider ALL the GRE scores, or just the Analytical Writing Score?  A program representative emailed me that the GRE is required, but didn't mention that only part of the GRE is considered in the selection process.

2. Does anyone know whether - if you already have a Masters degree from an accredited school - they'll waive the GRE requirement?  Again, the admin said there is no waiver, but I found something deep in the web that implies a waiver may be possible if you already have a Masters.

Background: I took the paper GRE in the '90s, got a masters from Case Western around 2000, but will have to take the GRE again because my scores are too old. I'm dreading having to take the GRE again now and will be much relieved if they only look at the writing score (or if I qualify for a waiver!).

Thank you for your help!  

Answering your first question, they 100% only look at the Writing score for the GRE, and they want to see a 4 or higher.

Not sure on the 2nd question, but yes at the very least you won't have to worry about your entire GRE score if you take it again! :) -- At least for SDSU's program.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:43 PM, bavas said:

Answering your first question, they 100% only look at the Writing score for the GRE, and they want to see a 4 or higher.

Not sure on the 2nd question, but yes at the very least you won't have to worry about your entire GRE score if you take it again! :) -- At least for SDSU's program.

@bavas thank you so much! You've seriously changed the remainder of my gap year - hooray!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again! I have a couple more application questions - this time about the Personal Statement - so I can hopefully join y'all in 2020 ?

1. How long is the personal statement supposed to be?  I can't find that information anywhere on the website, and the Interfolio system won't be available until October.

2. Based on your admissions results, how important do you think it is that I write about a very local, specific vulnerable population/issue?  If I had my druthers, I'd focus more broadly on mental illness and individual and group therapy, but am thinking it may be more important to write about systemic needs based on a particular local population and/or issue (e.g. homelessness, in-patient re-admittance rates, military and veterans). Did y'all focus on picking something that would stand out as unique yet locally relevant?  As an example, I recall a representative in Washington saying, "most applicants wrote about suicide and gun violence, so I'd suggest something different."   I'm just not sure what I want to focus on yet, and don't want to pigeonhole myself as, say, hospice, when I may end up wanting to work with young adults.  Or is it more important to just pick something unique and local and write it well, knowing you may do an about-face later?

Thanks again!  

On 5/6/2019 at 1:59 PM, starting early said:

Hello again! I have a couple more application questions - this time about the Personal Statement - so I can hopefully join y'all in 2020 ?

1. How long is the personal statement supposed to be?  I can't find that information anywhere on the website, and the Interfolio system won't be available until October.

2. Based on your admissions results, how important do you think it is that I write about a very local, specific vulnerable population/issue?  If I had my druthers, I'd focus more broadly on mental illness and individual and group therapy, but am thinking it may be more important to write about systemic needs based on a particular local population and/or issue (e.g. homelessness, in-patient re-admittance rates, military and veterans). Did y'all focus on picking something that would stand out as unique yet locally relevant?  As an example, I recall a representative in Washington saying, "most applicants wrote about suicide and gun violence, so I'd suggest something different."   I'm just not sure what I want to focus on yet, and don't want to pigeonhole myself as, say, hospice, when I may end up wanting to work with young adults.  Or is it more important to just pick something unique and local and write it well, knowing you may do an about-face later?

Thanks again!  

Hey! I sympathize because when I was applying it was difficult for me to figure out the desired length for the personal statement. It's supposed to be under 2 pages though -- double-spaced or single-spaced, doesn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, this should be my last question, now that I'm re-learning math for the GREs:

Did anyone completely ignore studying for the math portion of the GRE for SDSU, knowing you'd do terribly, because SDSU only evaluates the written score? In other words, could I literally answer "a" for each GRE math question, and not worry about SDSU's evaluation of my application? 

Did anyone who got into SDSU completely bomb the math portion?

I ask because the math learning is going much slowly and painfully for me than I had expected, and I'll need a couple of weeks (full-time days) to get up to speed. I'd rather be reading Yalom right now ?if the math score truly doesn't matter.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2019 at 10:10 PM, bavas said:

Hey guys, just posting here to update that I got accepted today off the waitlist! :) The 2-year direct practice route

Hi! I hope that you are enjoying the program! I have applied for Fall 2021 admissions and am driving myself crazy with anxiety about it. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your GPA/experience that you applied with to see how I compare to admitted students? Thank you!:)

1 hour ago, fiofarrell17 said:

Hi! I hope that you are enjoying the program! I have applied for Fall 2021 admissions and am driving myself crazy with anxiety about it. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your GPA/experience that you applied with to see how I compare to admitted students? Thank you!:)

Hi there! Thanks for reaching out, I know it can be nerveracking to be applying for the program and literally just be waiting. My stats were the following:

B.A Sociology w/ concentration in culture and communication, Minor in Psychology

Overall GPA: 3.2

Last 90 Units/Major GPA: 3.9

~1000 hours in ABA therapy

~200 hours interning at a charter school for disadvantaged students

~100 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter

~100 hours volunteering at an elementary school

And a good amount of experience as a research apprentice, but idt that mattered much

Let me know if you have any other questions! I'd be happy to answer :)