Recommending for Conditional Admission

MPA_App

Hey ya'll, hoping folks can give me some insight here. I'm applying for my Masters and yesterday got a letter via email from the LBJ School (my top choice) congratulating me and telling me that they are recommending me for conditional admission to the Masters of Public Affairs program. Awesome! I RSVPed to the accepted students day and filled out the form immediately telling them I intend to accept the offer and attend in Fall 2019.

The conditional admission is because my GPA is below the Graduate School's cutoff of a 3.0 GPA, although they allow for applicants to submit supplemental essays explaining any extraordinary circumstances re: GPA. I submitted that essay -- I was sexually assaulted during my undergrad, which tanked my grades. In the 7 years since I graduated, I've accomplished a lot in my career. I did very well on the GRE (above the school's averages in all three sections), and felt really good about every other part of my application. I had three very strong LORs and am really proud of my SOP. The conditions of my admissions are that I keep my grades at or above 3.0 in my first semester, which I know I can do. This should all be good.

Here's the thing: my admission is still pending sign off from the Dean of Graduate Studies. I'm TERRIFIED that the dean is going to see that my grades don't meet the cutoff and reject me out of hand. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Any insights? How regular is it for the Dean to reject a student that's recommended and has a mostly very strong application?

You're quite literally worrying to much.  If you were the Dean of Graduate Studies, just how much work do you think he/she has, right now?  They're probably pretty busy right now.   You've already accepted and they've already signed it off as conditional.  Chill.  Relax now and enjoy your time before your applied year.

16 minutes ago, worrypower said:

I actually also had a conditional acceptance to an MPA. By the time they send the email to you, it means you're in-- the rest is just semantics. Don't worry, you'll be great! :)

Yarp.

23 hours ago, Ternwild said:

You're quite literally worrying to much.  If you were the Dean of Graduate Studies, just how much work do you think he/she has, right now?  They're probably pretty busy right now.   You've already accepted and they've already signed it off as conditional.  Chill.  Relax now and enjoy your time before your applied year.

You were entirely correct. Found out today I was admitted, officially!

1 minute ago, MPA_App said:

You were entirely correct. Found out today I was admitted, officially!

Congrats.  Sometimes our worry gets too out of control that we convince ourself of things that don't really exist.