Second "Under Review Email?"

Nilandia

I submitted an application for a masters program back in January.  A week ago, I received an email that it was under review, and it should take about 2 to 4 weeks before I would get an email with the decision.  Just tonight, however, I received another email that my application was under review, with the same wording, but now they're estimating 4 to 6 weeks.

Strange.  Any idea what could be going on?  I suspect I might not be in the first wave of acceptances, but they're keeping me in the running for the second wave.

Could your application have been deferred from the PhD adcom to consideration for an MA instead? This has happened to me a couple of times. For UIC, for example, my app status changed from under review to pending addition review or something like that.

Edited by kendalldinniene

9 hours ago, Nilandia said:

I don't believe so.  I'm applying for forensic science, and right now the Masters is the terminal degree at this school.

It is either they are experiencing delay in their decision process OR they are possible considering your for a PhD program, instead of Masters.  Could be any number of things.  Nothing you can do but wait.  If you're deeply concerned, for some reason, you can always message the graduate admissions department and ask if they can clarify the change in estimation.  But I'd hazard a guess that it would be due to delays (number of applicants high, etc.).

9 hours ago, Nilandia said:

I don't believe so.  I'm applying for forensic science, and right now the Masters is the terminal degree at this school.

2 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

[O]r they are [possibly] considering your [application] for a PhD program, instead of Masters.  

@Nilandia , it's easier said than done, but be patient.

4 hours ago, Sigaba said:

@Nilandia , it's easier said than done, but be patient.

Indeed, it is quite difficult.  I'm more than a bit nervous since this program is one of my top choices, and I've already been accepted at another program that wants a response to their offer of admission by the end of the month.  But, we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the insight!

3 minutes ago, Nilandia said:

As I understand that, April 15 only applies if there is an offer of financial aid. My acceptance did not have any aid with it.

Then email your department and tell them of your situation.  Hopefully they will be able to tell if you'll hear anything before the end of the month. 

4 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

Then email your department and tell them of your situation.  Hopefully they will be able to tell if you'll hear anything before the end of the month. 

That is my thought. I figure I'll give about a week before I truly panic. The second email really threw me, though.

14 hours ago, Nilandia said:

That is my thought. I figure I'll give about a week before I truly panic. The second email really threw me, though.

Consider carefully the sources of the guidance you're receiving before taking action.