Media Studies 2019?

nscz

Hey I was wondering what creditials are needed for most media studies phd applicants? Do programs typically care if you have media industry experience (I.e. news/tv/magazine)? Or are they more concerned with research experience and test scores. This particular major has been so difficult to find information on even when reaching out to faculty and current students at universities.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:27 PM, kp_87 said:

Hey I was wondering what creditials are needed for most media studies phd applicants? Do programs typically care if you have media industry experience (I.e. news/tv/magazine)? Or are they more concerned with research experience and test scores. This particular major has been so difficult to find information on even when reaching out to faculty and current students at universities.

I think it really depends on what aspect of media studies you’re interested in. I have a psychology and anthropology degree, but am also a film school grad. I’m interested in media effects on children, race, identity, and underrepresentation and have been accepted into communication programs with a media psychology focus. Depending on your interests, communication, English, sociology, psychology, history, are all good backgrounds. Research experience is also really helpful. I think a really defined interest is also important, the more clear you are on what your research interest and approach is, the better chance you have if you come from an area that doesn’t tie so closely to media studies. That and finding a POI who is currently researching what you’re interested in.

Edited by Psyhopeful
Clarity

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

I think it really depends on what aspect of media studies you’re interested in. I have a psychology and anthropology degree, but am also a film school grad. I’m interested in media effects on children, race, identity, and underrepresentation and have been accepted into communication programs with a media psychology focus. Depending on your interests, communication, English, sociology, psychology, history, are all good backgrounds. Research experience is also really helpful. I think a really defined interest is also important, the more clear you are on what your research interest and approach is, the better chance you have if you come from an area that doesn’t tie so closely to media studies. That and finding a POI who is currently researching what you’re interested in.

Thank you for that info

• 4 weeks later...