Moderator Request/Other Religion Grad Admission Forums?

balaamsdonkey

Hello all,

I've been a longtime observer of this forum - going back at least 3 years. The advice on here has been valuable, even as it has been anxiety-inducing at times. In the desire to make this forum better, I was wondering if this site could offer some kind of single document with FAQ's or general advice so that people don't have to search for it through archival posts. Would that be possible?

Also, I was curious if anybody has any other religion/theology grad admission forums that they frequent or know about. Do they exist? It seems like this one is the most consistently active and most informative.

Thanks in advance.

The FAQ could be helpful, provided it's stickied. Otherwise people will resort to ignoring it and there should be a general expectation that a lot of people will opt to ignore it or ask anyway. I know some Moderators active in History that are far less frequently active here. That said, perhaps they could still sticky such a FAQ. I'm not sure if they're limited to certain threads.

There are a handful of subs on Reddit pertaining to seminaries and divinity schools but A LOT of them are set to private and you have to request access to them. As such, they're often fragmented and divided among denominations or academic interests. There's a much larger network of communities centered around graduate school admissions though again these tend to be somewhat fragmented. There's some cool subs on academic discussions on Second Temple Judaism and rabbinic literature, others on orthodox theology, etc -- if you're looking for schools in these areas, I'd absolutely hit them up! I know the Academic Biblical Studies sub has a nice community of PhD students and younger profs that use it for more "off the cuff" discussions.

There use to be a handful of Facebook groups pertaining to admissions for graduate school. Unfortunately I think these have largely gone away/collapsed. That said, if you're looking for conservative bible colleges, there's quite a few communities left for those.

• 4 weeks later...

The Academia Stack Exchange tends to give useful advice and has a few regulars involved with academic/graduate religious studies. But, as its title implies, it is not specifically about religious studies (much less grad school in religious studies), and it is in more of a Q&A format than a "forum" per se.