what does it all mean?????

sadgworl

what does it mean when schools have supposedly sent out letters and you don't receive one? ie when a school sends out waitlist and rejects and you haven't gotten zilch.... 

this waiting game is my own personalized hellscape.

my theory is that a lot of schools keep a really large list of people waiting so that they can have diversity in their reserves. If one of their admits with characteristic A and research interest B decides to decline their offer, then the committee would want to replace that spot with a similar candidate. As a result, they keep a lot of borderline/backup candidates on a silent waiting list. Just my theory

26 minutes ago, itheproofofstupidity said:

my theory is that a lot of schools keep a really large list of people waiting so that they can have diversity in their reserves. If one of their admits with characteristic A and research interest B decides to decline their offer, then the committee would want to replace that spot with a similar candidate. As a result, they keep a lot of borderline/backup candidates on a silent waiting list. Just my theory

From what I have read and what I am currently experiencing I believe this to be the case. One of my programs doesn't do an official waitlist from what I read, however the first round of acceptances went out and received nothing (its been more than a week). Rejections and a second round of acceptances would historically come 2-4 weeks after the initial results. Furthermore, one year people were placed on the waitlist as they got an email saying the department was having a funding issue. This however was the only year I believe people were officially notified they were on a waitlist.

Again, from what I have observed on this website if you are silently waitlisted (neither rejected or accepted after results went out) my best guess is that your chances of acceptance are 1/3. That could be totally wrong for a million reasons, not least of which it depends on the program etc. However, my main point is that you still have a chance, even if its not a great one. I think you have a better chance when you are officially notified of waitlist because (again from what I have read and observed) that implies there is a formal shortlist. To anyone who reads this now or in the future, I cannot emphasize enough that this is just speculation and inference AND that any program may be different. So the only answer that I can really give is this 1) its a crapshoot 2) its not over till its over

1 hour ago, bandanajack said:

its not over till its over

This.

I've had an interview with one program and an acceptance from another.  The third has sent out a bunch of acceptances, but I haven't heard anything.  I'm assuming I'm somewhere on a waitlist for them.

Case 1: Schools sent out both accepts and rejects but you didn't got one -> you are in their consideration

Case 2: Schools sent out accepts but not rejects but you didn't got one->99% you are reject and they are just holding on you application for... I don't know...

Good luck on your application