MPA/MPP/MPS Applications, Fall 2019 (Canada)

elicit

Hi everyone!

Who else has applied/is applying to public policy programs in Canada for this fall?

So far, I've applied to the MPS program at University of Waterloo, the MPA program at Queens, and the MPP program at Munk.

Me.

i have applied for Munk, Carleton, Ottawa, Queen’s and McGill. But I had no background of public policy, and I am getting nervous. I applied since I found that my interest lies here finally.

could anyone evaluate my stats please?

I am 30 yo, originally from Hong Kong and had a master of computer engineering from McMaster in 2013, during which my thesis was mix of software and laws. Undgrad GPA 85, and grad is 90. Again they are all engineering courses.

i then cofounded a startup and then worked for IBM Toronto for 5 yrs.

Interested in economics and public policies, so self studied on coursera and gained around ten certificates including micro, macro, policy making, public economics etc.

had some voluntary activities and serve as a local executive for a federal political party.

love wiring about Canadian public issues such as healthcare, corporate welfare, industrial policies etc

now i am very worried about getting nothing in the end as I really had no official experience in this field!!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, rockymount said:

Hello there! It's about that time that the acceptances should start rolling in. So far I've heard from Queen's MPA. Any word from Munk?

Received the informal offer of admission for Queens this morning.  As for Munk, my Acorn Degree Registration Status has changed to "Invited" but I haven't heard anything from them - hoping it's indicative of an offer of admission.

11 hours ago, elicit said:

Received the informal offer of admission for Queens this morning.  As for Munk, my Acorn Degree Registration Status has changed to "Invited" but I haven't heard anything from them - hoping it's indicative of an offer of admission.

Edit:  Received an offer of admission to Munk earlier today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi guys,

I am from India and my Canadian PR is under process.

I have 10 years work experience - into public sector consulting across government advisory (economic and policy advisory, smart cities, financial inclusion, digital transformation) for state (provincial) and central (federal) governments, social sector consulting for international NGOs. I have also volunteered for civic advocacy organizations in high impact projects. 

I am keen to pursue a career in the public policy and administration area in Canada, for which I want to pursue a relevant program. I would like to know about programs which are targeted or have a peer group of students with substantial (relevant) work experience? I am preferably looking for 1 year programs, and would like to pursue policy analysis / enforcement, urban livability index, data driven effective governance. 

Appreciate any input from current students, alumni or peer prospects.

Thanks in advance!