Asking for a LOR from a professor at the university I'm applying to?

A bit of context here: I'm currently completing a 1-year MA programme in English literature, and will be applying to a number of PhD programmes, one of which is at the university I attended as an undergrad. I have a pretty good relationship with one of the professors there from my undergrad days, and in fact he would be my POI there for the PhD. Any ideas on whether it would it be awkward or frowned-upon to ask for a LOR from him, given the situation?

On 2/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, onerepublic96 said:

A bit of context here: I'm currently completing a 1-year MA programme in English literature, and will be applying to a number of PhD programmes, one of which is at the university I attended as an undergrad. I have a pretty good relationship with one of the professors there from my undergrad days, and in fact he would be my POI there for the PhD. Any ideas on whether it would it be awkward or frowned-upon to ask for a LOR from him, given the situation?

Hey there, I'm in a similar position! I asked an undergraduate professor for a recommendation and I applied to that same school for my masters. I don't think it's awkward, especially considering that (1) most applicants apply to multiple schools and use that same letter on different portals and (2) he'd be your POI. Honestly, it might even help that he'd be your POI there because he can speak very highly of you! Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who speak to your talents is a welcome LOR writer. If your LOR happens to know the graduate committee members, work with them, be in their department, etc. it is a benefit insomuch as your LOR writer's colleagues know and/or trust the LOR writer and their instincts.

On the other hand, if you know politics within the department or your LOR writer's reputation are not great, you may want to reconsider. Also, the question should also be asked if your LOR writer may actually be on or involved with the search/admission committee for the program you are pursuing. If so, they may have to recuse themselves from one of the two roles. I may be wrong, but in that instance I think it makes more sense to have sympathetic advocate on the committee rather than writing to it.