Anyone want to take a 20 question survey about your demographics and application cycle outcomes?

jriveracal

https://berkeley.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dopQ3R8ekJxQXt3

All responses are anonymous and I promise the survey is in no way affiliated with Berkeley or Berkeley Haas lol it's just a template from my work that I couldn't figure how to remove.

They survey slightly reeks of elitism as I ask questions about the rankings of schools you applied for and their outcomes, but I'm just really interested in seeing the demographics of you all and trying to see if there is any relation between certain demographics and admission into different ranked programs.

It would mean a lot if people would take it. Totally cool if not though. Any feedback on the survey itself would also be appreciated. Happy Friday.

3 minutes ago, msers said:

I think the question on parents' highest level of education is formatted incorrectly! Axes should be flipped (can currently only select either Mother or Father for each level of education).

Thank you! I switched it a multiple answer question because idk how to fix the problem otherwise lol. This is the first survey I've made so all feedback is appreciated!

23 hours ago, jriveracal said:

Thank you! I switched it a multiple answer question because idk how to fix the problem otherwise lol. This is the first survey I've made so all feedback is appreciated!

Hey! I'm not sure what you're intentions are, but if you're down I would love to get my hands on this data...

Cool idea with the survey. Ditto on seeing the data if possible. Just very friendly considerations below. I think the survey was well done so please do not take this as criticism! I'm just bored and I really enjoy brainstorming survey design haha Also, I don't know the exact reason for the survey so I am just randomly making up potential questions.

Ask whether people are applying directly to Ph.D. program (where masters is included) from ug, or if they have their masters already.

How much student-loan debt do they have? Current income? This might help provide further insight with determining an individual student's/applicant's SES than just the parent's income. In my current research with undergrad students I found the parent income question didn't necessarily reflect the student's actual access to resources or financial well being. Anecdotally I can speak to this (for what it's worth). My dad makes decent money but I receive very very minimal financial support from my parents.

It might be interesting to add some soft questions, such asking people's confidence or expectation of getting into graduate school.  (Could compare that with the ranking of the school they came from, schools they applied to, etc. etc.) 

Cheers and best wishes with the research!

Since all of the responses are anonymous I think it would be fine to share the data. Still waiting for responses though! 32 so far, with one today and a few yesterday...then I'd be more than happy to share. 

On 2/26/2019 at 12:28 PM, bandanajack said:

Cool idea with the survey. Ditto on seeing the data if possible. Just very friendly considerations below. I think the survey was well done so please do not take this as criticism! I'm just bored and I really enjoy brainstorming survey design haha Also, I don't know the exact reason for the survey so I am just randomly making up potential questions.

Ask whether people are applying directly to Ph.D. program (where masters is included) from ug, or if they have their masters already.

How much student-loan debt do they have? Current income? This might help provide further insight with determining an individual student's/applicant's SES than just the parent's income. In my current research with undergrad students I found the parent income question didn't necessarily reflect the student's actual access to resources or financial well being. Anecdotally I can speak to this (for what it's worth). My dad makes decent money but I receive very very minimal financial support from my parents.

It might be interesting to add some soft questions, such asking people's confidence or expectation of getting into graduate school.  (Could compare that with the ranking of the school they came from, schools they applied to, etc. etc.) 

Cheers and best wishes with the research!

These are super helpful suggestions. I've never made my own survey before so I just made up questions as I went along. Assessing student loan debt would definitely be a helpful indicator for individual SES. I also really like the idea of assessing an individual's confidence in getting into graduate school. I applied to 14 programs because I had extreme doubt that I would be able to get into any of them (also having fee waivers for 12 of them which made this possible) and I noticed a few people here only applied to like 2 or 3 programs. Not sure if that has to do with confidence or practicality, but would be interesting to look into.

• 2 weeks later...