What does it mean to get an early waitlist

gradschoolprobs

My dream PhD program's website says that decisions are typically made late March/early April. However, I received an email today from the program director that I have been waitlisted. Email said: "I just wanted to let you know that the grad committee has put you on a waitlist for admittance into our PhD program. The applicants pool was very strong and we only have so many spots. I promise to keep you posted as we see how many acceptances we receive in the coming weeks. Thanks for applying!" And so, I replied back expressing again my interest and to update what I've been doing. The director then replied with, "Thanks for your email. I know you are keen and I can appreciate your interest in the program. Your recent (data collection) trip sounds amazing!" Why did I get an early waitlist?

On 2/27/2019 at 7:20 AM, gradschoolprobs said:

My dream PhD program's website says that decisions are typically made late March/early April. However, I received an email today from the program director that I have been waitlisted. Email said: "I just wanted to let you know that the grad committee has put you on a waitlist for admittance into our PhD program. The applicants pool was very strong and we only have so many spots. I promise to keep you posted as we see how many acceptances we receive in the coming weeks. Thanks for applying!" And so, I replied back expressing again my interest and to update what I've been doing. The director then replied with, "Thanks for your email. I know you are keen and I can appreciate your interest in the program. Your recent (data collection) trip sounds amazing!" Why did I get an early waitlist?

Acceptances have gone out to the top candidates. Should any of them decline, the next names up on the wait list will be extended an offer. This process is usually dependent on candidates knowing all the offers available to them, and may included interviews, school visits, etc. If all this was expected to take place right before the April 15 deadline, it would be chaotic for everybody involved. Schools start issuing acceptances once they’ve reviewed applications and are ready to do so; the timelines provided on websites are generally loose and seem to mostly represent the ultimate deadline for hearing a decision. 

On 3/3/2019 at 12:01 PM, trekhgornyval said:

Acceptances have gone out to the top candidates. Should any of them decline, the next names up on the wait list will be extended an offer. This process is usually dependent on candidates knowing all the offers available to them, and may included interviews, school visits, etc. If all this was expected to take place right before the April 15 deadline, it would be chaotic for everybody involved. Schools start issuing acceptances once they’ve reviewed applications and are ready to do so; the timelines provided on websites are generally loose and seem to mostly represent the ultimate deadline for hearing a decision. 

Thank you! Does it sound like there is a good chance? My application is under review, but the email was from the program director. Was it better to hear of being waitlisted rather than hearing nothing?

10 hours ago, gradschoolprobs said:

Does it sound like there is a good chance?

There's no way to know.  You just have to do what all of us have to: wait it out.