Syracuse Maxwell 2019

BK297

Hi all,

Didn't see a specific thread dedicated to the Maxwell School, so figured I'd start one. Anyone else been accepted and/or considering attending for the MPA program? Seems like a good program from what I've heard, and trying to weigh the pros and cons of their shorter, more intensive schedule.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:54 PM, BK297 said:

Hi all,

Didn't see a specific thread dedicated to the Maxwell School, so figured I'd start one. Anyone else been accepted and/or considering attending for the MPA program? Seems like a good program from what I've heard, and trying to weigh the pros and cons of their shorter, more intensive schedule.

Hey! I have to the program. Still awaiting results. May I know when you submitted and received decision? Thanks

10 hours ago, Pj2401 said:

Hey! I have to the program. Still awaiting results. May I know when you submitted and received decision? Thanks

I applied right around their Feb 1 priority deadline (I think the day of, maybe a day or two before), and received a decision email on February 28. Good luck!

I got an offer of admission on 28th Feb ... awaiting funding / scholarship decisions before taking a final call ...

any idea on the amount of scholarship typically given ?

On 3/5/2019 at 7:19 PM, BK297 said:

I applied right around their Feb 1 priority deadline (I think the day of, maybe a day or two before), and received a decision email on February 28. Good luck!

Hey! I just received the acceptance mail. Extremely stoked. 

Maxwell has a very competitive program but I am not sure how it compares against other programs in terms of job placements, opportunities, research etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CBurruss said:

I received admittance to the MPA program in the middle of February but am awaiting the funding decision. Has anyone heard back yet?

They said March 18 was the earliest that funding decisions would come out, and that those decisions would be released over the next couple weeks (not all at once, from my understanding)

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:29 AM, Pj2401 said:

Hey! Received 50% funding. Still contemplating! 

When did you apply for this. When I checked their website - the priority deadline was 15th Feb and had applied then. Haven't heard back from them on both application and funding - had applied for a MPA/MSES degree.  

On 3/23/2019 at 10:47 AM, hardikpokhrel said:

When did you apply for this. When I checked their website - the priority deadline was 15th Feb and had applied then. Haven't heard back from them on both application and funding - had applied for a MPA/MSES degree.  

Hey, If I am right, their priority deadline was 1st Feb.  Do check whether your application is being considered in the second round for which results will be out in late April. 

I received my admission notice on March 7th and I had applied on 1st Feb. 

Hope that helps

32 minutes ago, Pj2401 said:

Hey, If I am right, their priority deadline was 1st Feb.  Do check whether your application is being considered in the second round for which results will be out in late April. 

I received my admission notice on March 7th and I had applied on 1st Feb. 

Hope that helps

Thanks for the info. How do I check that? Write an email for it.? I found out about this program on Feb 4/5th and the deadline was 15th. Late April is too late. I have an admit from Yale FES and Duke Nicholas and have to give them a decision by April 15th. So I guess this was a waste of time and money ?

1 hour ago, hardikpokhrel said:

Thanks for the info. How do I check that? Write an email for it.? I found out about this program on Feb 4/5th and the deadline was 15th. Late April is too late. I have an admit from Yale FES and Duke Nicholas and have to give them a decision by April 15th. So I guess this was a waste of time and money ?

Ah. Yes, definitely email them. Also, let them know of your predicament and maybe they will give you an answer earlier to help with your decision. 

Any opinions on the Atlantis Program vs. the joint MPA/MAIR at Maxwell?

There is certainly a cost difference, but which one will give a bigger professional advantage? 

Atlantis will guarantee a one year program in a German-speaking country, but it seems like there may be multiple travel/study options with the joint degree program at Maxwell.

And which is ultimately the better complement to the Maxwell MPA? The Hertie MIA or the Maxwell MAIR?  

On 3/29/2019 at 7:50 AM, findoh19 said:

Any opinions on the Atlantis Program vs. the joint MPA/MAIR at Maxwell?

There is certainly a cost difference, but which one will give a bigger professional advantage? 

Atlantis will guarantee a one year program in a German-speaking country, but it seems like there may be multiple travel/study options with the joint degree program at Maxwell.

And which is ultimately the better complement to the Maxwell MPA? The Hertie MIA or the Maxwell MAIR?  

I was accepted to the Atlantis Program via the Hertie School of Governance. I will most likely be doing the MPA at Maxwell and the MPP at Hertie.

I have spoken with the admission teams of both schools. They were really supportive. This is a unique program where around 8-10 students from all over the world are admitted.

Still figuring out the funding part but will do all I can to enroll next summer!

How about you?

On 4/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, CBurruss said:

Does anyone have any advice for housing around Syracuse or is currently looking for housing options?

I haven't started looking yet, but I will be searching for housing later this month. The Syracuse, NY thread seems to have some good information, although the thread has 12 years worth of posts to look through!

)