Any ideas?

Still just twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear back from ANY of the schools I applied to. I know there's nothing I can do anymore, but I keep analyzing my stats over and over. I'm a unique candidate in that all of my undergraduate credits are from 8 years ago. I have no campus involvement or group leadership roles, but I was a teacher for a couple of years and and reading interventionist. So all of that counts against me... but in the last 5 years since I started taking pre-reqs here and there I have a better gpa, and a perfect gpa in CSD classes that I have been taking full-time for a year and a half. I honestly have no clue one way or the other whether I'll get in anywhere... Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Undergrad GPA: 3.28 (8 years ago) Post bacc GPA: 3.84 (in the last 5 years) CSD GPA: 4.0 (in the last 2 years) Overall Cumulative GPA: 3.43 GRE V: 157 Q: 150 AW:4.5

That is SO good to hear. I'm out of field. I applied to 4 schools in the Chicago area. I have three kids and a husband that I can't pick up and move or I would have applied all over. Luckily Chicago has a lot of options. I applied to Elmhurst College, Saint Xavier University, Midwestern University (Had an interview earlier this month), and Northern Illinois University. 

Zaralee!  Good luck to you! I was also a post-bacc older student.  I know Elmhurst takes at half of it's students from it's Bachelor's program and is geared towards more traditional / younger students.  The Midwestern admissions rep always said that it was okay to send emails if you had something new to add to your application (for example if you had taken professional development/done something) that it helped to express your continued interest and enthusiasm for Midwestern. 

On 3/1/2019 at 9:23 AM, zaralee said:

Still just twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear back from ANY of the schools I applied to. I know there's nothing I can do anymore, but I keep analyzing my stats over and over. I'm a unique candidate in that all of my undergraduate credits are from 8 years ago. I have no campus involvement or group leadership roles, but I was a teacher for a couple of years and and reading interventionist. So all of that counts against me... but in the last 5 years since I started taking pre-reqs here and there I have a better gpa, and a perfect gpa in CSD classes that I have been taking full-time for a year and a half. I honestly have no clue one way or the other whether I'll get in anywhere... Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Undergrad GPA: 3.28 (8 years ago) Post bacc GPA: 3.84 (in the last 5 years) CSD GPA: 4.0 (in the last 2 years) Overall Cumulative GPA: 3.43 GRE V: 157 Q: 150 AW:4.5

Your stats look pretty good, but I know it is hard when you have to narrow it to so few schools because life demands it. Have you checked your stats against ASHA edFInd? Your 4.0 CSD GPA definitely should stand out! Good luck!

Your stats look great. Some schools actually like students who have some work experience under their belt and are a little bit older. I didn’t get in until my 3nd try. During those years, I received a Masters in Special Education. My mom and dad encouraged me to apply one more time. I applied to 3 schools and got into one but that’s all I needed. Anyway, the director of the program said my age and degree helped my application? Good luck!

On 3/2/2019 at 2:53 PM, Afternoonprogram said:

Zaralee!  Good luck to you! I was also a post-bacc older student.  I know Elmhurst takes at half of it's students from it's Bachelor's program and is geared towards more traditional / younger students.  The Midwestern admissions rep always said that it was okay to send emails if you had something new to add to your application (for example if you had taken professional development/done something) that it helped to express your continued interest and enthusiasm for Midwestern. 

Thank you! I've heard that about Elmhurst. I'm actually taking my pre-requisites there right now. There were way fewer early admits this year. I think only 5 or so? If I get waitlisted at midwestern I'll definitely send on my resume and personal statement. They seem to be going slower right now and aren't up to my interview date yet for acceptances. 

On 3/3/2019 at 7:26 AM, S_H19 said:

You should hear back from Midwestern soon! They generally only take 2-3 weeks to get back to applicants! 

I'm now over 3 weeks, but they still haven't reached my interview date! Last I saw of acceptances were February 4th I think and I interviewed February 7th. I interviewed with several classmates and no one has heard anything yet. I called on Friday to ask about the status of my application and when I might hear back and she said they are still reviewing it and she wasn't sure when the admissions committee would be meeting again. It's so exhausting getting nervous checking my phone and email! 

On 3/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, Rezzy S. said:

Your stats look pretty good, but I know it is hard when you have to narrow it to so few schools because life demands it. Have you checked your stats against ASHA edFInd? Your 4.0 CSD GPA definitely should stand out! Good luck!

I'm within the limits of all the schools according to edFind, but I'm not sure how accurate edFind is... 

21 hours ago, Bmay80 said:

Your stats look great. Some schools actually like students who have some work experience under their belt and are a little bit older. I didn’t get in until my 3nd try. During those years, I received a Masters in Special Education. My mom and dad encouraged me to apply one more time. I applied to 3 schools and got into one but that’s all I needed. Anyway, the director of the program said my age and degree helped my application? Good luck!

This is my biggest hope-- that my teaching experience will be counted as experience related to the field. Where did you end up going??

1 hour ago, zaralee said:

Thank you! I've heard that about Elmhurst. I'm actually taking my pre-requisites there right now. There were way fewer early admits this year. I think only 5 or so? If I get waitlisted at midwestern I'll definitely send on my resume and personal statement. They seem to be going slower right now and aren't up to my interview date yet for acceptances. 

I'm now over 3 weeks, but they still haven't reached my interview date! Last I saw of acceptances were February 4th I think and I interviewed February 7th. I interviewed with several classmates and no one has heard anything yet. I called on Friday to ask about the status of my application and when I might hear back and she said they are still reviewing it and she wasn't sure when the admissions committee would be meeting again. It's so exhausting getting nervous checking my phone and email! 

I'm within the limits of all the schools according to edFind, but I'm not sure how accurate edFind is... 

This is my biggest hope-- that my teaching experience will be counted as experience related to the field. Where did you end up going??

1 hour ago, zaralee said:

You will hear soon then! I was accepted the same day as the other people I interviewed with :) good luck! 

On 3/4/2019 at 10:51 AM, zaralee said:

I graduated from Radford in 2016. I had applied to Longwood, UVA and Radford. I visited both UVA and Longwood. Radford’s open house didn’t work with my schedule so I didn’t get a chance to visit. I thought for sure I would get into Longwood but didn’t even get waitlisted. My GPA for my Special Education masters was 3.8, my undergrad gpa, under 3.0? Good luck and don’t lose hope?