Overlapping Admitted Student Days

produxtui

Overlapping Admitted Student Visit schedule  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Visit one school, or split time between two?

• Visit both for one day
    • Visit only one for the entire weekend

I've been admitted to my 1st and 2nd choices of grad school, but unfortunately the admitted student visit days overlap.

I'd like to attend each for one day, but am unsure of how this would come across. Should I try to split it, or just attend my first choice?

12 minutes ago, historygeek said:

How far away are the schools, from you and from each other?

My 2nd choice is an hour a half drive from the school I'm currently attending. My 1st choice is a ~12 hour drive.

Being that my 2nd choice is in a major city, I have the opportunity to fly from there to my 1st (it's only a 2 hour flight). 

Edited by produxtui

8 minutes ago, produxtui said:

My 2nd choice is an hour a half drive from the school I'm currently attending. My 1st choice is a ~12 hour drive.

Being that my 2nd choice is in a major city, I have the opportunity to fly from there to my 1st (it's only a 2 hour flight). 

I would definitely do both! It seems like you can travel to both of these places without being too exhausted. 

Just now, historygeek said:

I would definitely do both! It seems like you can travel to both of these places without being too exhausted. 

That is my initial approach, but my question is more about how it looks to only attend each for one day. Think this would be in bad taste?

9 minutes ago, produxtui said:

That is my initial approach, but my question is more about how it looks to only attend each for one day. Think this would be in bad taste?

Are they Admitted Students Days, as you say in the title, or weekends? If they're days, I wouldn't worry too much.

Definitely do the split. I'm doing that next weekend actually. As long as you're polite and don't send an email that says "I'm not going to be here for X day because I'm at school Y's visiting weekend". Just tell them you have a prior commitment and leave it at that. I was also worried it would look bad, but no one seemed to care. 

7 hours ago, produxtui said:

Days, Wed and Thurs

So, my only issue with doing the split is most of these visit days have detailed, well organised schedules that encompass both days.  I recommend you get those schedules from both, if possible, and if you plan to split between the two days, do so with knowledge of what you'd rather see with schools on those days (i.e. skipping campus tour, etc.).  I know for Purdue and WashU they were very meticulously planned days with so many different things to do on different days.  Just make the choices that are best for you. 

9 hours ago, Ternwild said:

So, my only issue with doing the split is most of these visit days have detailed, well organised schedules that encompass both days.  I recommend you get those schedules from both, if possible, and if you plan to split between the two days, do so with knowledge of what you'd rather see with schools on those days (i.e. skipping campus tour, etc.).  I know for Purdue and WashU they were very meticulously planned days with so many different things to do on different days.  Just make the choices that are best for you. 

Yes please also consider this! Usually there is 1 day that actually matters where you have interviews/meetings with different POIs. Try to plan it so that you are there at least on whatever day that is so you get the most out of the visit.