UNC Chapel Hill BBSP post-interview decisions

normnutt

I received a waitlist notification today. Considering that they have an official presentation showing that they made 0 waitlist offers in 2017-2018, I am guessing that this is most likely a rejection unfortunately. https://news.unchealthcare.org/som-vital-signs/attachments/2016/dac-may-slides

• Admissions for 2017-2018:
• Target = 90, offers accepted = 91
• 1275 completed applications. Reviewed by 56 faculty on 4
committees
• 306 interviews, 220 offers (0 waitlist offers). Yield = 41% 

On 3/8/2019 at 9:25 PM, mochicyte said:

I received a waitlist notification today. Considering that they have an official presentation showing that they made 0 waitlist offers in 2017-2018, I am guessing that this is most likely a rejection unfortunately. https://news.unchealthcare.org/som-vital-signs/attachments/2016/dac-may-slides

committees

Huh, that's strange since there are several people who posted on the results page here that said they got in off the waitlist last year

I checked, and you are absolutely right. It looks like they didn't start hearing anything until just before the April 15th deadline. Maybe the program just had abnormally high yield during the particular year used in the presentation. Thanks!

Hi there! I'm one of the people who got waitlisted for BBSP, and it does seem like people tend to get accepted off the waitlist right before the deadline, which I personally find to be a bit stressful and unfortunate. Is there a way to ask people (who are deciding which PhD program to attend) to try and remember that people are on the waitlist and would like to know sooner rather than later of their acceptance or rejection? (e.g. social media, thegradcafe, etc.). I saw someone mention it in a note on the "grad student admissions results" but that's the only thing I've seen so far. 

9 minutes ago, jm318 said:

Hi there! I'm one of the people who got waitlisted for BBSP, and it does seem like people tend to get accepted off the waitlist right before the deadline, which I personally find to be a bit stressful and unfortunate. Is there a way to ask people (who are deciding which PhD program to attend) to try and remember that people are on the waitlist and would like to know sooner rather than later of their acceptance or rejection? (e.g. social media, thegradcafe, etc.). I saw someone mention it in a note on the "grad student admissions results" but that's the only thing I've seen so far. 

Edited by cidmeister

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 9:25 PM, mochicyte said:

committees

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I was on the waitlist for UNC BBSP and just received an offer, so the waitlist is definitely still moving a little!