Ford 2019

On 3/12/2019 at 12:48 PM, MPPKollege said:

They probably deserve it. I am at the LBJ school and while I love it, Ford's MPP program is light-years ahead. 

Could you shed some light on why you say this? What is it about Ford's program that you leads you to think it stands out? Also what does LBJ seem to lack? Is it something you feel most schools, other than ford, also lack?

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Noahliuhx said:

So guys, Harris or Ford? What's your opinion?

Tough to say without additional context? 

I myself am leaning towards Ford - access to multiple research centers and departments (outside of Stanford they have the most graduate programs ranked in the top 10), powerful alumni network, lower cost of living (from Boston where I live now), more balanced curriculum between learning theory and applying it, and friendly student body. 

Personally, I did not apply to Harris. I think they have brilliant faculty and the program is well structured (very unique yet practical certificates/specializations) but it was a little too focused on quant for me (as evidenced by their tag line: “social impact, to a science”). Not really my style. I do think Harris has social scene beat over Michigan: I love the city of Chicago. 

My focus is social policy (currently work in social policy research) and I'm having trouble choosing between my dream school (Ford - I did my UG there too though) where I only got 1/4 off tuition and La Follette (where I got full funding).   Thoughts?  

On 3/19/2019 at 11:58 AM, pubpolmads said:

My focus is social policy (currently work in social policy research) and I'm having trouble choosing between my dream school (Ford - I did my UG there too though) where I only got 1/4 off tuition and La Follette (where I got full funding).   Thoughts?  

I unfortunately don’t know much about La Follette but depending on who calls you tonight (Michigan’s Calling Night is today) I would pose this to them. For example: “I am having difficulty determining which program to accept as I am receiving significantly higher funding from a competing institution. What factors led you to commit to Ford? If you were me how would you approach the situation?  Alternatively, do you know of any ( current) students who also debated La Folette vs Ford that I could connect with?”

^^The above conversation is probably best to be addressed to a student or alumni vs a faculty member or admissions. 

Conversely, id also email the admissions team and see if they can connect you to students pursuing the social policy concentration and hold these discussions with them. And then do the same with La Folette. At least that way you can get a better sense of which program’s culture you fit in with best.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2019 at 8:48 AM, worldleader2018 said:

Got my acceptance just now!

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance. This is so wonderful and I am happy for you. You must have worked hard and your work paid off.

I did apply, first time, and unfortunately I did not get it. I am considering applying again next year one last time. Would you be open to sharing your essays with me? I promise not to share with anyone. Otherwise, would be willing to share few tips with us?

Thank you so much!

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2019 at 9:18 PM, TalkPoliticsToMe said:

How are people finding roommates? Anyone still in need of housing?

On 3/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, acerbicb said:

Accepted with max funding I am about to cry ????

Did either of you end up at Ford? What are your thoughts after attending?