University of Maryland SLPA 2019

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if there is a thread for UMD acceptances already, sorry if this is a repeat! I was recently accepted for the Fall 2019 cohort (woo!) it is my top choice school so I am super excited, but still waiting to hear back from a few other programs before making a decision. I wanted to see if anyone else out there has been accepted yet, or if any current/past grads have some inside scoop. From what I can tell, it seems like an amazing program with awesome Professors. Would love to hear how y'all are liking the program or what you've heard about it. Thanks! 

Hi! I was accepted to UMD and am a current undergrad in the program. I'm also in a selective program in which two seniors are paired up to treat a client in the in-house clinic so we have a supervisor, meet with grad students who are treating the same disorder, etc. It's basically a preview of grad school. Therefore, I think I have a pretty good grasp of the faculty, support level, organization etc. I think it's a solid program with wonderful professors who truly care about you. They want you to succeed and offer suggestions and guidance without steam-rolling you. It does seem to be a lot of work, even compared to other programs, because you get more than one client your first semester but the grad students are all alive so it's doable. It's an especially appealing program if you have a graduate assistantship because all GAs get in-state tuition, 5 credits of tuition remission during fall and spring semesters, 2 credits during the winter, and a sizeable stipend. I'm strongly considering Maryland myself and think that while the facilities aren't the most beautiful I've ever seen, it's a good program that cares about its students. 

Edited by Laurenf131

6 minutes ago, Lincoln135 said:

@Laurenf131 

Do you know if they offer Graduate Assistantships to admitted students or do you apply once you have decided to attend the University? Right now the cost for out of state is a big barrier for me deciding to go there and I just wanted to know a little more about that. Thanks! ?

Both but in our case, they will offer them to admitted students after they have made all admissions decisions. I think they'll probably release their offers in about 2.5 weeks. You will know before April for sure so you can make a decision using knowledge of funding. They often do give to out of state and give a fair number of assistantships. There are also out of department ones that you can apply for that will have the same benefits but those are not all open to apply to yet and can be acquired later if you don't get a department assistantship. All professors I have spoken to would recommend only taking 10-hours-per-week assistantships though because of the workload. I hope that helps!

On 3/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, Laurenf131 said:

Both but in our case, they will offer them to admitted students after they have made all admissions decisions. I think they'll probably release their offers in about 2.5 weeks. You will know before April for sure so you can make a decision using knowledge of funding. They often do give to out of state and give a fair number of assistantships. There are also out of department ones that you can apply for that will have the same benefits but those are not all open to apply to yet and can be acquired later if you don't get a department assistantship. All professors I have spoken to would recommend only taking 10-hours-per-week assistantships though because of the workload. I hope that helps!

Thank you so much for your info! I'm strongly considering UMD also but really wasn't sure how this worked. Glad to know there's a chance for funding somewhere, because as an out-of-state student that's what I'm super nervous about!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, Laurenf131 said:

Hi! I was accepted to UMD and am a current undergrad in the program. I'm also in a selective program in which two seniors are paired up to treat a client in the in-house clinic so we have a supervisor, meet with grad students who are treating the same disorder, etc. It's basically a preview of grad school. Therefore, I think I have a pretty good grasp of the faculty, support level, organization etc. I think it's a solid program with wonderful professors who truly care about you. They want you to succeed and offer suggestions and guidance without steam-rolling you. It does seem to be a lot of work, even compared to other programs, because you get more than one client your first semester but the grad students are all alive so it's doable. It's an especially appealing program if you have a graduate assistantship because all GAs get in-state tuition, 5 credits of tuition remission during fall and spring semesters, 2 credits during the winter, and a sizeable stipend. I'm strongly considering Maryland myself and think that while the facilities aren't the most beautiful I've ever seen, it's a good program that cares about its students. 

Thank you so much for this response! It definitely confirmed everything I have heard and felt about UMD- all good things :) I am almost positive UMD will be my school! I am waiting to hear back about funding from TC Columbia but even if that is positive, I don't think it can compare to UMD's GA/in-state/stipend deal. Thank you so so much for your help!