Psy.D programs- please help me decide!

aer621

I was really fortunate and got into 8/10 psyd programs that I applied to. I’ve narrowed it down to Ferkauf (Yeshiva) and LIU Post. I liked LIU a lot more, but from what I’ve heard, Ferkauf is considered more prestigious, but there was just something about the program that I didn’t like, but I can’t put my finger on it. I’d love to hear what you think! Thanks so much for your help with this!!

I'm assuming if you're going PsyD that you're interested in primarily clinical work. In that case, the minuscule difference in "prestige" between two programs won't be a big deal. You'll have access to the same prac sites, and both programs are highly respected in the area. You can't go wrong with either! I remember we talked about Post being your top choice - if you liked the program, go for it! Don't let ideas of "prestige" get into your head :)

14 hours ago, dancedementia said:

I'm assuming if you're going PsyD that you're interested in primarily clinical work. In that case, the minuscule difference in "prestige" between two programs won't be a big deal. You'll have access to the same prac sites, and both programs are highly respected in the area. You can't go wrong with either! I remember we talked about Post being your top choice - if you liked the program, go for it! Don't let ideas of "prestige" get into your head :)

That's really good advice! Thanks so much! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PLEASE HELP! 

I've been accepted to PsyD programs at: The Wright Institute, Roosevelt University and Loyola University, Maryland. 

I think I'd like to focus on integrated health care and pediatrics. I don't know which program to choose! Price wise, all three programs are similar. Outcome wise they're pretty similar too. I've looked at APA internship match rates, EPPP pass rates, etc etc. 

If you're familiar with these institutions beyond their online stats and have any thoughts, guidance, or advice to offer me, I'd really appreciate it. Especially if you're familiar with pediatrics, integrated health care, or how these programs are perceived within the field of psychology. Looking for some insider perspective! Thank you in advance! 

Edited by PsychGo

1 hour ago, PsychGo said:

I've been accepted to PsyD programs at: The Wright Institute, Roosevelt University and Loyola University, Maryland

Roosevelt and Loyola are definitely a "tier" above Wright. In general, I also dissuade folks from going to California schools unless they want to work in California - they don't have much of a "brand" outside of that state.

9 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Roosevelt and Loyola are definitely a "tier" above Wright. In general, I also dissuade folks from going to California schools unless they want to work in California - they don't have much of a "brand" outside of that state.

Thank you so much for your response. My indecision between Roosevelt and Loyola stems from this: Loyola has their own clinic that you're placed in for your first two years, providing you with two years of generalist training before you apply to external practicum. Roosevelt does not have their own clinic. Students apply to external placements from year 1. This is more work for students but does seem to allow students the ability to 'specialize' early on. So, does going to a program with their own clinic hurt or help? If you have any advice on this issue in particular, that would be fantastic. I already know I'd like to go into integrated healthcare.  Furthermore, Roosevelt appears to place a bit more emphasis on participating in research. I think this is important for internship placement. However, Roosevelt's tuition is based on units (not a flat fee like Loyola), making estimating yearly costs a bit complicated and even unpredictable. I am concerned but accruing unexpected costs due a unit based tuition system. Any thoughts would be helpful! Thank you in advance!

On 3/10/2019 at 3:35 PM, aer621 said:

I was really fortunate and got into 8/10 psyd programs that I applied to. I’ve narrowed it down to Ferkauf (Yeshiva) and LIU Post. I liked LIU a lot more, but from what I’ve heard, Ferkauf is considered more prestigious, but there was just something about the program that I didn’t like, but I can’t put my finger on it. I’d love to hear what you think! Thanks so much for your help with this!!

You might want to consider their locations too; Ferkauf (the Bronx), and LIU (Long Island). Additionally, you could probably just use public transportation to Ferkauf whereas you probably have to drive to LIU. Also if DBT is your thing then, LIU has a great program for it. Hope this helps.

Please help me ?

I've been accepted to Hartford's PsyD and Rutger's PsyD programs. I am also waitlisted at Loyola. My top choice is Loyola, but I guess I'll have to wait until right before 4/15 (this was what I was told because the school has not heard back from enough people). 
The programs mentioned above have similar stats (APA internship match rates, EPPP pass rates). I am torn because I liked the environment and atmosphere at Hartford, but I'm also aware of Rutger's reputation and affordability...I appreciate any input, advice, perspective, opinion, ANYTHING! Thank you!!!

52 minutes ago, hellopsychme said:

Please help me ?

I've been accepted to Hartford's PsyD and Rutger's PsyD programs. I am also waitlisted at Loyola. My top choice is Loyola, but I guess I'll have to wait until right before 4/15 (this was what I was told because the school has not heard back from enough people). 
The programs mentioned above have similar stats (APA internship match rates, EPPP pass rates). I am torn because I liked the environment and atmosphere at Hartford, but I'm also aware of Rutger's reputation and affordability...I appreciate any input, advice, perspective, opinion, ANYTHING! Thank you!!!

I have been offered admission to Loyola and promise I will do everything in my power to come to a decision ASAP. If I were you though, I think Rutgers would be an easy choice. Affordable (compared to other programs) and a great reputation?! What more could one ask for? Congrats on that admission! Also, as far as I remember, Rutgers has a much better APA internship match rate compared to Hartford but perhaps I am misremembering. Lastly, if you're open to sharing, I am interested to know why Loyola is your top choice compared to the other programs you've been admitted to. Best of luck during the decision process!