Harvard or Yale?

Artgirl87

You're obviously very intelligent, so you must realize that your individual advisor is the most important factor here. Still, a lot of people love to trash talk Yale since it has lost several big names in the not-so-distant past. But regardless, your entire posting history makes me think this is a portrait of you:6931md8zgpn01.jpg

Godspeed.

Outside of professional considerations, possibly think about the area in which you will be living. Is one a more positive environment than the other? How will your everyday life be affected by the community in which you live? Basically, if you’re still torn after considering the major factors of graduate school ask yourself if you will be happy living there for 3-5 years or more. 

? Good luck!

3 hours ago, Bijutsu said:

Outside of professional considerations, possibly think about the area in which you will be living. Is one a more positive environment than the other? How will your everyday life be affected by the community in which you live? Basically, if you’re still torn after considering the major factors of graduate school ask yourself if you will be happy living there for 3-5 years or more. 

? Good luck!

This is exactly where I’m at right now. Obviously both institutions are so great, and both of my prospective supervisors have been amazing to talk to, so I’m now mostly anxious about making the right choice as to where I spend the next few years of my life. I’m moving overseas for this so I just wanted to know if anyone had any personal experiences or opinions on which is a better environment. Thanks for your reply!

I toured both last summer. I prefer New Haven. It's a little more removed. There are some great restaurants in the area. The pizza especially is phenomenal. It's a smaller town, but if you're really craving city time it's a 90min train ride to New York. It's centered around the university essentially and it's pretty easy to get around by foot. The curating style at the Yale Art Gallery is more progressive compared to Harvard's classic style. To me, New Haven feels more homey.

Boston...it's not my thing. The way people cross the streets willy-nilly is annoying. Check it out on youtube, if you haven't been. Boston has a more classical European layout -- it sprawls from its center. If you're more into the bar scene, then I would say pick Boston/Cambridge. There's great opportunity for seafood. It's a travel destination so tourists will always be a factor, hence higher costs of living and what not.

7 minutes ago, Bijutsu said:

I toured both last summer. I prefer New Haven. It's a little more removed. There are some great restaurants in the area. The pizza especially is phenomenal. It's a smaller town, but if you're really craving city time it's a 90min train ride to New York. It's centered around the university essentially and it's pretty easy to get around by foot. The curating style at the Yale Art Gallery is more progressive compared to Harvard's classic style. To me, New Haven feels more homey.

Boston...it's not my thing. The way people cross the streets willy-nilly is annoying. Check it out on youtube, if you haven't been. Boston has a more classical European layout -- it sprawls from its center. If you're more into the bar scene, then I would say pick Boston/Cambridge. There's great opportunity for seafood. It's a travel destination so tourists will always be a factor, hence higher costs of living and what not.

That's so helpful -- thank you!!

I'm confused. I am applying next year and am actually at one of the institutions you mentioned now. M advisor told me that every advisor is very different and the reputation of your personal advisor matters the most. Why is everyone so focused on the names Harvard and Yale instead of the names of the people who would be advising you?

1 hour ago, kat101 said:

I'm confused. I am applying next year and am actually at one of the institutions you mentioned now. M advisor told me that every advisor is very different and the reputation of your personal advisor matters the most. Why is everyone so focused on the names Harvard and Yale instead of the names of the people who would be advising you?

Well, because, while your advisor is important, you're not enrolling in an advisor, you're enrolling in a department and a university and living in a community. Every city, every school, every department has its own personality, its own ethos. If you get into Columbia and are supposed to work with a great advisor, but don't want to live in a large, hectic city or work in an ultra-competitive environment, you're going to have a pretty miserable 6-8 years. In choosing a program, you have to consider a whole host of factors, of which your advisor might be the primary but certainly not the only one. 

Edited by Bronte1985

10 hours ago, kat101 said:

Also as much as people like to say that it’s only your adviser that matters, top programs are top programs for a reason. More resources, often higher stipends, to some extent name value, etc. Advisers are a huge part of deciding where to apply and ultimately study, but I don’t think they’re everything.

• 2 months later...

I am also considering both of these programs.  Does anyone here have any experience with Robin Kelsey (modern - contemporary/photography at Harvard) or Pamela Lee (post war - contemporary/theory at Yale)?  

All information/comments welcome. 

On 5/30/2019 at 11:14 AM, baptism by fire said:

I am also considering both of these programs.  Does anyone here have any experience with Robin Kelsey (modern - contemporary/photography at Harvard) or Pamela Lee (post war - contemporary/theory at Yale)?  

All information/comments welcome. 

Kelsey is a dean now and isn't accepting any new students. 

Well, that is helpful! 

I was under the impression he was still accepting students, as there are dissertations with him marked as the advisor from 2018. Thank you so much for letting me know. 

Do you know who would be an equivalent that is accepting students?  I know Benjamin Buchloh, but outside of him. 

On 5/31/2019 at 4:46 PM, baptism by fire said:

Well, that is helpful! 

I was under the impression he was still accepting students, as there are dissertations with him marked as the advisor from 2018. Thank you so much for letting me know. 

Do you know who would be an equivalent that is accepting students?  I know Benjamin Buchloh, but outside of him. 

Depends on your field. Faculty at most programs have online profiles, and it would probably be helpful to read them. At Harvard, Carrie Lambert-Beatty does contemporary, and Sarah Lewis does work on photography. Neither is an "equivalent" to Robin Kelsey. It's unclear if Benjamin Buchloh is still accepting students.

• 2 months later...